Influence, Leadership, and Group Dynamics
Chapter 10 of the course text provides one of
many definitions of leadership, including a discussion of authority, power, and influence and how these are related to the exercise of leadership. Chapter 11 addresses the leadership challenge of influencing others in a complex group or team working environment.
Post by Day 3 a 150- to 500-word statement that answers all of the following questions:
- What can be the various sources of a leader’s power or authority?
- What is the relationship between types or methods of influence and effective leadership?
- How do managers’ leadership styles and methods of influence affect the dynamics and functioning of groups?
Support your work with specific citations from the Learning Resources. You are allowed to draw from additional sources to support your argument, but you must cite using APA standards. All quoted material must be identified, cited, and referenced per APA standards.
You are encouraged to enrich your posting with your personal examples, experience, or insights.
Edit your postings carefully for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
Respond by Day 6 with at least 75 words each to two or more of your colleagues' postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Please note that that you are expected to post and respond to class Discussions a minimum of 2 different days each week (1 day to submit your post, another to respond to your colleagues). Points will be deducted if you do not participate in the course Discussion on at least on 2 days during the week.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your posting and responses. Note what you have learned and the insights that you gained as a result of participating in this Discussion.