1. How many protons, electrons and neutrons are in an atom of ?
a. 4 protons, 5 electrons, and 9
b. 4 protons, 4 electrons, and 5 neutrons
c. 9 protons, 9 electrons, and 4 neutrons
d. 5 protons, 4 electrons, and 4neutrons
e. 6 protons, 5 electrons, and 5 neutrons
2. Two Isotopes will have
a. same proton number
b. same electron number
c. same neutron number
d. none of the above
3. Which of the following properties is NOT a characteristic of the Group 1A(1) elements (alkali metals)?
a. They are shiny.
b. They are good conductors of heat.
c. They react vigorously with water.
d. Most of them are liquids at room temperature.
e. They are good conductors of electricity.
4. Which compound contains a polar covalent bond?
5. The correct electron dot structure for ammonia, NH3, is
6. Which of the following measurements has three significant figures?
a. 0.005 m
b. 510 m
c. 5.10 x 10-1m
d. 5.1 x 10-2m
e. 5100 m
7. If a block of wood has a mass of 1.326 kg, what is its mass in milligrams?
a. 1.326 x 10-6mg
b. 0.1326 mg
c. 1.326 x 103mg
d. 1.326 x 106mg
8. Which is a physical change?
a. Steam is condensed to water.
b. Water is decomposed by an electric current.
c. Iron rusts in air.
d. A piece of paper is burned.
9. How many moles is 10. g of calcium carbonate, CaCO3?
a. 0.010 mol
b. 0.10 mol
c. 1.0 mol
d. 10. mol
10. A sample of gas with a volume of 2.0 L exerts a pressure of 1.0 atm. If the volume is changed to 1.0 L (at constant temperature), what is the pressure?
a. 0.5 atm
b. 1.0 atm
c. 2.0 atm
d. 4.0 atm
11. Calculate the molarity of a solution prepared by diluting 200.0 mL of 4.0 M HCl to 500.0 mL of solution
a. 1.1 M
b. 1.6 M
c. 2.7 M
d. 10. M
12. Which represents an acid solution at 25°C?
a. pH = 7
b. pH = 3
c. [OH-] = 1.8 x 10-7
d. [H3O+] = 6.7 x 10-8
13. The function of a buffer is to
a. change color at the end point of a titration.
b. maintain the pH of a solution.
c. be a strong base.
d. maintain a neutral pH.
e. act as a strong acid.
14. What type of radiation is represented by ?
15. If emits an alpha particle, what is the other product?
16. A hydrocarbon containing one double bond per molecule is called a(n) ____.
d. cyclic hydrocarbon
e. saturated hydrocarbon
17. Curcumin is a compound found in tumeric. What functional group is not present in curcumin?
18. Oxidation of which type of biomolecule provides the greatest energy per gram?
d. nucleic acid
19. Mammals can digest starch but not cellulose because starch
a. has alpha (1 -> 4) linkages joining glucose units, whereas cellulose has beta (1 -> 4) linkages.
b. is a poly-glucose, whereas cellulose is a poly-galactose.
c. is a carbohydrate, but cellulose is a protein.
d. is made by mammals, but cellulose is made by plants.
20. A difference between RNA and DNA is that
a. RNA contains deoxyribose and DNA contains ribose.
b. RNA contains cytosine and DNA contains uracil.
c. RNA contains uracil and DNA contains thymine
d. RNA has a double helix and DNA has a single strand