6.04 Lab Report: Reaction Rates and Temperature—Assignment Template
To use this template, go
to File, select Download As. Then select the file type you can edit. Once you are done please save this file and attach to your assessment.
In this activity i have to complete virtual experiment to determine how the temperature of water affect the time it takes for antacid tablets to dissolve. Read over the lab report before you begin. If you choose to conduct this experiment by setting it up at home, then please review the lab safety guide in the Course Information section before you begin. Keep in mind you may use the video in the lesson to record the reaction times.
Pre-lab Questions: (10 points)
1. How does an increase in concentration affect a chemical reaction?
2. When temperature increases, what happens to the molecules in a chemical reaction?
3. How do we measure the average kinetic motion of molecules in a solution?
Hypothesis: (4 points)
Before you begin your lab, write it as a hypothesis that reflects how you think temperature of the water will affect the reaction rates. Record your hypothesis as an "if, then" statement.
Variables: (6 points)
This experiment tests how the temperature of water affects the time it takes for antacid tablets to dissolve.
What is the independent variable?
What is the dependent variable?
Note that you may choose to conduct this lab with the materials listed below (follow all lab safety procedures) or by watching the experiment video in the lesson.
● 4 antacid tablets
● 2 clear cups labeled Hot and Cold
● Timing device
1. Observe the experiment in the virtual lab window. (Or, if you choose to perform this experiment yourself, follow the same procedures shown in the video.)
2. Record the time for each trial of the experiment.
Data: (5 points)
Data table: Record the length of time for each trial.
Trial Time for tablet to dissolve in hot water Time for tablet to dissolve in cold water
Graph: (5 points)
i have to create and include a graph to show the results from the trials. You can use the create Graph tool located in the course toolkit for help creating a graph.
Post-Lab Questions (10 points)
1. Review your data. Did your experiment support your hypothesis? Support your answer with data from your experiment.
2. How did the temperature affect the time it took for the antacid tablet to dissolve?
3. What evidence indicates that a chemical reaction took place?
4. Predict what would happen if the same experiment was conducted with different amounts of water.