1. Which of the following is a weak acid? A. HCl B. H2
2. Which equation represents an acid-base neutralization reaction?
A. Ag+(aq) + I−(aq) ® AgI(s)
B. HNO3(aq) + NaOH(aq) ® NaNO3(aq) + H2O(l)
C. Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) ® ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)
D. NaCl(aq) + AgNO3(aq) ® NaNO3(aq) + AgCl(s)
3. Which is the conjugate acid of H2O?
4. Which ion is the conjugate base of HSO4-1?
D. HSO4 -
5. Which of the following combinations would make the better buffer?
A. NaCl and HCl
B. NaOH and NaHCO3
C. H2PO4- and Na2HPO4
D. H2SO4 and Na2SO4
6. Which particle is electrically neutral?
7. Isotopes of the same element have
A. the same number of protons, neutrons, and electrons
B. the same atomic number but different mass numbers
C. the same number of neutrons, but different numbers of protons
D. the same number of electrons, but different numbers of protons
8 . Which particle has the same mass as an electron, but a positive electric charge?
A. alpha particle
B. gamma photon
9. In the reaction 64Be + -10e→ 42He + X the species represented by X is
10. In the equation 3920Ca → 3919K + X which particle is represented by X?
A. a proton
B. a beta particle
C. a positron
D. an alpha particle
11. Which type of radiation is the most penetrating?
D. All are equally penetrating.
12. How much of a 16-gram sample of radium-226 will remain unchanged at the end of three half-life periods?
A. 1 g
C. 3 g
D. 4 g
13. Which nuclear process is used to produce nuclear energy?
14. How many kilometers are there in 1 centimeter?
15. How many significant figures are in 451,000.?
16. Convert 398 g to pounds, given this conversion: 453.6 g/lb
A. 1.52 lb
B. 135,000 lb
C. 0.877 lb
D. 155.6 lb
17. Write 0.0020100 in scientific notation.
A. 2.01 x 102
B. 2.01 x 10−2
C. 2.0100 x 10−2
D. 2.0100 x 10−3
18. Given this reaction: Ba + F2 → BaF2 , Which substance becomes reduced?
D. Both Ba and F2
19. How many oxygen atomes are in one mole of carbon dioxide, NO2?
B. 6.02 x 1023
C. 1.20 x 1024
D. 2.41 x 1024
20. Which is true of catalysts?
A. They are not used up during the reaction.
B. They lower the activation energy.
C. They cause an alternate, lower energy reaction pathway.
D. all of the above
21. A cube has a volume of 8.00 cubic centimeters and a mass of 21.6 grams. The density of the cube is best expressed in the correct significant figure as
A. 2.7 g/cm3
B. 0.37 g/cm3
C. 2.70 g/cm3
D. 0.370 g/cm3
22. Which is a pure substance?
B. Sodium chloride
D. all the above
23. Why do the alkaline earth metals have similar chemical traits?
A. They have the same number of electrons.
B. They all have the same number of valence electrons.
C. Each of them needs one more electron to have an octet in the valence shell.
D. Both b and c are correct.
24. Which atom has the smallest radius or diameter?
25. Which is the electron configuration for Cl?
26. How many valence electrons does a Sulfur atom have?
27. Which ion does nitrogen form?
28. Which compound is ionic?
29 . What is the formula of the compound formed from Fe3+ and O-2?
30. What is the name of MgSO4?
A. cobalt sulfate
B. Magnesium sulfur tetraoxide
C. Magnesium sulfate
D. Magnesium (II) sulfate
31. The shape of a water molecule is
C. trigonal planar
32. What is the polarity of a CO2 molecule?
C. It could be either, depending on its surroundings.
33. What is the name of N2O4?
A. nitrogen di-tetroxide
B. dinitrogen tetroxide
C. tetranitrogen dioxide
D. nitrogen(II) oxide
34 . Given this reaction: 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O
What is the reducing agent?
D. It depends on the temperature.
35. Which is true of endothermic reactions?
A. the reaction vessel gets cold
B. the reactants absorb energy from the environment
C. Both of the above are true
36. In an endothermic chemical reaction, which of the following is true?
A. There is no activation energy.
B. The energy of the products is higher than the energy of the reactants.
C. The energy of the products is lower than the energy of the reactants.
D. The energy of the products is the same as the energy of the reactants.
37. Given this reaction at equilibrium: 2 CO(g) + O2(g) ↔ 2CO2(g)
Which statement regarding this reaction is always true?
A. The rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal.
B. The reaction occurs in an open system.
C. The reaction goes halfway and stops.
D. The concentrations of the reactants and the products are equal.
38. Given this reaction at equilibrium: C(g) + O2(g) ↔ CO2(g) + heat
Which way would the equilibrium shift if heat is removed?
A. to the reactants
B. to the products
C. no change would occur
39. Which of the following is the weakest intermolecular interaction?
A. covalent bonding
B. dipole-dipole interactions
C. London dispersion forces
D. hydrogen bonding
40. When sugar is added to water, the boiling point _____ and the freezing point _____.
A. decreases, decreases
B. decreases, increases
C. increases, decreases
D. increases, increases