Explain why you got each answer
1. Which branch of chemistry is concerned with the detection or identification of substances present in a sample and their amount?
a) analytical chemistry
b) organic chemistry
c) inorganic chemistry
d) physical chemistry
2. Identify the INCORRECT statement below:
a) Potential energy is the energy an object possesses because of its position, condition, or composition.
b) Energy is defined as the capacity to do work or to transfer heat.
c) Liquids flow and assume the shape of their container, occupying all available volume.
d) Endothermic processes absorb energy from their surroundings.
e) Chemical properties are related to the kinds of chemical reactions that substances undergo as they change composition.
3. Which of the following properties of Na metal is a physical property?
a) Na tends to give up an electron to form ionic compounds.
b) Na has a high electrical conductivity.
c) Na, when dropped into water, causes the evolution of H2 gas.
d) Na reacts violently with oxygen.
4. Which of the following property is NOT an intensive property of a material?
d) melting point
5. Which of the following materials has NOT been properly classified?
a) Apple juice is a homogeneous mixture.
b) Antimony is an element.
c) A snow cone is a heterogeneous mixture.
d) Steel is a compound.
e) Granite is a heterogeneous mixture.
6. The correct symbol for the element Tin is:
7. The most abundant element by % mass in the Earth¹s crust, oceans and atmosphere is:
8. Which is an INCORRECT statement regarding the SI system of units?
a) The basic unit of mass in the SI system is the gram.
b) The basic unit of length in the SI system is the meter.
c) The basic unit of time in the SI system is the second.
d) The basic unit of volume in the SI system is the cubic meter.
e) The basic unit for amount of substance in the SI system is the mole.
9. The density of Fe is 7.86 g/mL. Convert this to pounds per cubic foot.
10. This summer I took a 4500 mile vacation in a van which gets 13 miles/gallon of gasoline. If the average price of gasoline on the trip was $1.27 per gallon, how many dollars did I spend on gasoline?
11. A reaction requires 10.0 g ethanol. What volume of ethanol/water mixture which is 60% ethanol by mass would be required? The Specific Gravity of this mixture is 0.8937.
a) 6.71 mL
b) 5.36 mL
c) 536 mL
d) 18.6 mL
12. Permalloy steel is an alloy which is 21.2% Fe by mass. How many grams of Fe are present in 1.000 kg of steel?
a) 212 g
b) 21.2 g
c) 0.0212 g
d) 4.7 g
e) 4716 g
13. Which distance is greater? (Given: 1 Ångstroms = 1 x 10-10 m)
a) 5 Ångstroms
b) 1 nm
c) 10-6 mm
d) 100 pm
211,601 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses