Ch 11 Homework Quiz Questions
1. In the synthesis of ammonia gas from nitrogen and hydrogen, N^2 (g) + 3H^2 (g) 2NH^3 (g), what is the maximum volume of NH^3 that can be formed from 10.00 L of H^2?
a. 5.000 L
b. 6.667 L
c. 10.00 L
d. 15.00 L
e. 18.50 L
2. In the reaction 3NO^2 + H^2 O 2HNO^3 + NO, how many grams of HNO^3 can form when 1.00 g of NO^2 and 2.25 g of H^2 O are allowed to react?
a. 0.913 g
b. 0.667 g
c. 15.7 g
d. 1.37 g
3. Octane burns according to the following equation.
2C^8 H^18 + 25O^2 16CO^2 + 18H^2 O
How many grams of CO^2 are produced when 5.00 g of C^8 H^18 are burned?
a. 40.0 g
b. 0.351 g
c. 15.4 g
d. 30.9 g
4. How many grams of iron oxide, Fe^2 O^3, can be produced from 2.50 g of oxygen reacting with solid iron?
a. 12.5 g
b. 8.32 g
c. 2.50 g
d. 11.2 g
5. The fermentation of glucose, C^6 H^12 O^6, produces ethyl alcohol, C^2 H^5OH, and carbon dioxide.
C^6 H^12 O^6 (aq) 2C^2 H^5O H(aq) + 2CO^2(g)
How many grams of ethanol can be produced from 10.0 g of glucose?
a. 10.0 g
b. 2.56 g
c. 5.11 g
d. 4.89 g
e. 5.00 g
6. In the reaction Fe(CO) ^5 + 2PF^3 + H^2 > Fe(CO) ^2(PF^3) ^2(H) ^2 + 3CO, how many moles of CO are produced from a mixture of 5.0 mol Fe(CO) ^5, 8.0 mol PF^3, and 6.0 mol H^2?
a. 15 mol
b. 5.0 mol
c. 24 mol
d. 6.0 mol
e. 12 mol
7. Nitrogen gas reacts with hydrogen gas to produce ammonia gas.
N^2(g) + 3 H2(g) > 2 NH^3(g)
What volume of H^2 is required to react with 3.00 L of N^2, and what volume of NH^3 is produced at 200°C?
a. V(H^2) = 9.00 L, V(NH^3) = 6.00 L
b. V(H^2) = 3.00 L, V(NH^3) = 3.00 L
c. V(H^2) = 3.00 L, V(NH^3) = 6.00 L
d. V(H^2) = 1.00 L, V(NH^3) =1.50 L
e. V(H^2) = 6.00 L, V(NH^3) = 9.00 L
f. cannot solve without knowing the pressure
8. CO^2 exhaled by astronauts is removed from the spaceship atmosphere by reaction with KOH.
CO^2 + 2KOH > K^2 CO^3 + H^2 O
How many kg of CO^2 can be removed with 1.00 kg of KOH?
a. 0.500 kg
b. 0.786 kg
c. 0.393 kg
d. 1.57 kg
9. The limiting reactant in a completed chemical reaction will be the substance
a. left over.
b. used up.
c. with the greatest mass before the reaction begins.
d. with the least mass before the reaction begins.
10. A reaction that produces crude iron from iron ore is shown below.
Fe2O3 (s) + 3CO (g) > 2Fe (s) + 3CO2 (g)
How many moles of iron are produced from the reaction of 10 mol Fe^2O^3 and 25 mol of CO?
a. 10 mol
b. 17 mol
c. 25 mol
d. 35 mol
e. 37.5 mol
11. What mass of silver chloride can be made from the reaction of 4.22 g of silver nitrate with 7.73 g of aluminum chloride? (Be sure to balance the reaction.)
AgNO^3 + AlCl^3 > Al(NO^3) ^3 + AgCl
a. 17.6 g
b. 4.22 g
c. 24.9 g
d. 3.56 g
12. In making H^2 O from hydrogen and oxygen, if we start with 4.6 mol of hydrogen and 3.1 mol of oxygen, how many moles of water can be produced and what remains unreacted?
a. 7.7 mol of water will be produced, with 0.0 mol of O^2 remaining.
b. 3.1 mol of water will be produced, with 1.5 mol of O^2 remaining.
c. 2.3 mol of water will be produced, with 1.9 mol of O^2 remaining.
d. 4.6 mol of water will be produced, with 0.8 mol of O^2 remaining.
e. 4.6 mol of water will be produced, with 0.0 mol of O^2 remaining.
13. A manufacturer of bicycles has 5350 wheels, 3023 frames, and 2655 handlebars. How many bicycles can be manufactured using these parts?
a. 2675 bicycles
b. 2655 bicycles
c. 3023 bicycles
d. 5350 bicycles
14. Silicon carbide, SiC, is commonly known as carborundum. This hard substance, which is used commercially as an abrasive, is made by heating SiO^2 and C to high temperatures.
SiO^2(s) + 3C(s) > SiC(s) + 2CO(g)
How many grams of SiC form when 3.00 g of SiO2 and 4.50 g of C are allowed to react?
a. 2.00 g
b. 3.00 g
c. 5.01 g
d. 15.0 g
15. A byproduct of the reaction that inflates automotive airbags is very reactive sodium, which can ignite in air. Sodium produced during the inflation process reacts with another compound added to the airbag contents, KNO^3, via the reaction
10Na + 2KNO^3 > K^2 O + 5Na^2 O + N^2
How many grams of KNO^3 are required to remove 5.00 g of Na?
a. 110 g
b. 2.20 g
c. 4.40 g
d. 1.00 g
16. If 3.00 mol of gaseous SO^2 react with oxygen to produce sulfur trioxide, how many moles of oxygen are needed?
a. 3.00 mol O^2
b. 6.00 mol O^2
c. 1.50 mol O^2
d. 4.00 mol O^2
17. How many grams of H^2 O are formed from the complete conversion of 32.00 g O^2 in the presence of H^2, according to 2H^2 + O^2 > 2H^2 O?
a. 18.02 g
b. 36.03 g
c. 32.00 g
d. 2.016 g
e. 4.032 g
18. The alcohol in "gasohol" burns according to the following equation.
C^2 H^5 O H + 3O^2 > 2C O^2 + 3H^2 O
How many moles of CO^2 are produced when 3.00 mol of C^2 H^5OH is burned in this way?
a. 3.00 mol
b. 6.00 mol
c. 2.00 mol
d. 4.00 mol
e. 1.50 mol
19. How many moles of H^2O are produced when 2.5 mol of O^2 react according to the following equation?
C^3 H^8 + 5O^2 >3C O^2 + 4H^2 O
20. Automotive airbags inflate when sodium azide, NaN^3, rapidly decomposes to its component elements via this reaction. 2NaN^3 > 2Na + 3N^2
How many grams of sodium azide are required to form 5.00 g of nitrogen gas?
a. 9.11 g
b. 8.81 g
c. 7.74 g
d. 3.33 g
Recently Asked Questions
- I have a question: If a school that you wanted to attend cost 100k and in order to pay for it you had to choose between selling any of the 500 shares of apple
- the purpose and goals of Chinese government to establish Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect
- On January 1, 2017, XYZ Company purchased 10,000 shares of the stock of Perry Co, and did obtain significant influence. The investment is intended as a