a. tastes bitter
b. turns litmus blue
c. pH less than 7
d. feels slippery
2. Classify each of the following Arrhenius bases as strong or weak given the degree of ionization.
a. zinc hydroxide, Zn(OH)2(s), ~1%
b. lithium hydroxide, LiOH(aq), ~ 100%
c. iron(II) hydroxide, Fe(OH)2(s), ~ 1%
d. barium hydroxide, Ba(OH)2(aq), ~ 100%
3. Given the molar concentration of hydrogen ion [H+] = 6.2 x 10 -7, calculate the concentration of hydroxide ion.
4. Given the molar concentration of hydroxide ion [OH -] = 4.6 X 10 -13, calculate the concentration of hydrogen ion.
5. Classify each of the following bases as a strong or weak electrolyte.
6. What is the term for ions that appear in total ionic equation but are not present in the net ionic equation?
7. In 1 mL of water there are 3 X 1022 molecules of H2O. How manyhydrogen ions are in 1 mL of water (Hint: In 1 billion water molecules, only 2 are ionized).
8. What is the pH of a 0.25 M NaOH solution?
9. You and a friend are having dinner at a restaurant. You order strong, hot tea with lemon, and your friend orders plain hot tea. When your drinks arrive, the waiter apologetically informs you that he has already put the lemon into one of the teapots. He realized his mistake, and took it out, but now he doesn't know which is which. You assure him that since you are a chemist, you know which is which. How do you make this determination?
10. A Rolaids tablet contains calcium carbonate, which neutralizes stomach acid. If 44.55 mL of 0.488 M hydrochloric acid is required to neutralize one tablet, how many milligrams of calcium carbonate are in a Rolaids tablet?
CaCO3.(s) + 2 HCl(aq) -> CaCl2(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
Recently Asked Questions
- Consider the accompanying table showing the average hours of television watched in households in five categories of annual income, and complete parts (a)
- Among following items in the initial investment, which one is are not depreciable? Purchase of land Purchase of a building Purchase of new furniture Lay off
- Enter a formula in cell H5 that calculates the sales price percentage of the list price for the first house. The second house was listed for $500,250, but it