ing substances in water would be the best
conductor of electricity?
Magnesium metal is placed in contact with an
underground steel storage tank to inhibit the
corrosion of the tank because
1. magnesium has a lower oxidation poten-
tial than iron.
2. magnesium is cheaper than gold.
3. magnesium metal is a better reducing
agent than iron.
4. magnesium functions as the cathode in
the electrochemical cell instead of the iron.
5. magnesium has a higher reduction poten-
tial than iron.
What is K for the reaction below at room
4 (aq) + 4H2O(ℓ)
-> Cr(OH)3(s) + 5OH−(aq) −0.12
1. 8.2 × 10−7
2. 9.3 × 10−3
3. 1.7 × 1027
4. 7.8 × 103
Write the half reactions and the balanced
equation for the galvanic cell
Hg(ℓ) |Hg2+2 (aq) ||MnO−4 (aq),Mn2+(aq),H+(aq) | Pt(s) .
What is the smallest possible integer coef-
ficient of Mn2+(aq) in the combined balanced
When a ruthenium chloride solution was elec-
trolyzed for 500 s with a 120 mA current,
31 mg of ruthenium was deposited. What is
the oxidation number of ruthenium in ruthe-
What is the average current generated in the
Cu(s) |Cu2+(aq) || Fe3+(aq) | Fe(s)
electrochemical cell if 50 g of Cu(s) are used
up in a 24 hour period?
Cu2+ + 2 e− ! Cu E◦
red = +0.22 V
Fe3+ + 3 e− ! Fe E◦
red = −0.04 V
1. 1.76 amp
2. 13.00 amp
3. 42.17 amp
4. 2.64 amp
5. 111.85 amp
A battery formed from the two half re-
actions below dies (reaches equilibrium). If
[Fe2+] was 0.24 M in the dead battery, what
would [Cd2+] be in the dead battery?
Half reaction E◦
Fe2+ −> Fe −0.44
Cd2+ −> Cd −0.40
1. 0.01 M
2. 120.3 M
3. 0.0.0005 M
4. 5.4 M
How many seconds are required to produce
4.94 mg of chromium metal from an acidic so-
lution of potassium dichromate, using a cur-
rent of 0.234 A?
1. 235 s
2. 157 s
3. 78 s
4. 196 s
5. 274 s
6. 118 s
This question was asked on May 10, 2010.
Recently Asked Questions
- Identify trade policies of the 1990s and discuss the following points: What are the main goods and services the United States traded internationally? What
- Sterling Inc. has decided to purchase equipment from Central Industries on January 2, 2015, to expand its production capacity to meet customers' demand for its
- The essay should support a thesis statement with information gained from research or investigation. background on the great depression Economic Impact of the