- You are a construction engineer working on a large concrete foundation project,
involving the placement of over 500,000 c.y of concrete. The construction site is adjacent to a salt-water source (bay) & it is decided to set up a concrete batch plant on site. The project schedule shows that the various concrete pours are to take place from April to September.
- You are a project engineer for a large road way project. The roadway to be constructed is 3 miles long and 60 feet wide.
- The following pavement design specifications have been issued:
- Base coarse: 6" DGA
- Stabilized base: 4"
- Bottom coarse of asphalt: 3"
- Top coarse of asphalt: 2"
Determine the following information:
- How many tons of each material is required? Research and make an assumption of a unit weight for each material. Draw a cross-section of the specified pavement design.
- Assuming 10' wide lanes, and that you cannot work on more than 50% of the roadway at a given time, how many pieces of the following equipment would you consider utilizing?
- Material hauling trucks (assume truck can carry 20 tons/load)
- Bituminous distributors
- Asphalt paving machine (assume 10' wide)
- Vibratory rollers (assume 6' wide)
- Explain your rationale through illustrations as well as written description.