The origins of 3D printing stretch back to 1983, when Chuck Hull invented the first stereolithography apparatus (SLA) machine that converted liquid plastic into solid objects and improved the efficiency of prototyping (History of 3D Printing, 2017). Fast forward to 2017 and beyond, where 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing (AM), is evolving exponentially!
Research 3D printing and AM to identify new technologies and processes, a range of applications from customized artificial joints (Atala, 2011, March) to breakfast pancakes (PancakeBot 2.0), the materials that can be used in the process, and the expected growth trajectory for the technology.
Amazon.com. (n.d.). PancakeBot 2.0 PNKB01BK2 - Pancake Printer, Black. Retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/PancakeBot-2-0-PNKB01BK2-Pancake-Printer/dp/B01MTKXXQJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1508263249&sr;=8-1&keywords;=pancakebot
Atala, A. (2011, March). Printing a human kidney — Anthony Atala. TEDEd.com. Retrieved from https://ed.ted.com/lessons/printing-a-human-kidney-anthony-atala
History of 3D printing. (2017). 3D Printing Industry. Retrieved from https://3dprintingindustry.com/3d-printing-basics-free-beginners-guide#02-historyLearning Components
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Analyze potential impact to the individual, organization, and society.
- Evaluate potential impact of technology in a given context or industry sector.
- Evaluate validity and bias of tech sites and sources.
- Identify leading tech information sites, sources, and leading conferences (Apple, for example).
Recently Asked Questions
- When I have a class that extends Application (public class Game extends Application) I can easily call it from my driver class by typing launch(Game.class).
- Italy's Ineffective Program for Reducing Smoking Spillovers In most systems for reducing pollution using an effluent fee, the government is directly involved
- What are the differences between descriptive and prescriptive analytics.