METARs are reports assembled with a particular format that is easy to decode with computer systems using regular
These reports typically come in two forms: North American METARs and International METARs. Create a series of regular expressions that decode each token of information using the North American METAR form.
You can find METAR reports at the following address:
In order to find the weather information you need to get a METAR report from any airport you wish utilizing the appropriate code and then apply the different regular expressions to identify each token and eventually extract it from the report.
submission should be a script that reads a single line METAR from a file named: metar.txt
Your script output (to the shell screen) should include:
1. the report type: either METAR or SPECI for "Special Report"
2. the station identifies (four characters starting with a K)
3. Day of the month and time the report was filed
4. If the token 'AUTO' is present, you should output "This is a fully automated report"
5. If the token 'COR' is present, you should output "This is a corrected observation"
6. Wind direction and speed, wind gusting, and variable wind directions
7. Visibility in statute miles
8. Light, medium, or heavy rain (-RA|RA|+RA)
9. Cloud Conditions: [0 or more occurrences of each of the following]
a. Sky Clear
b. Few Clouds <altitude>
c. Scattered Clouds <altitude>
d. Broken Clouds <altitude>
e. Overcast Clouds <altitude>
11. Dew Point
12. Barometric Pressure
13. If the token 'TH' is present, you should output "Thunderstorms reported in the area"um temperature for past 6 hours reported to nearest tenth of degree Celsius; reported on 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC reports; sn = 1 if temperature below 0oC and 0 if temperature 0oC or higher.
Recently Asked Questions
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from SchoolWorkMod3.docx.
- HELP PLEASE WITH (phpMyAdmin) #7 AND #8
- Select one or more of the following statements that are true about analog and digital signalling. A. Analog signals maximize accurate data reception at the