- On a client/server network, the server is a computer that provides data to the
- In ____ systems, data and actions are encapsulated.
- a. parallel
- b. network
- c. object-oriented
- d. relational
- If the client, in a client/server system, performs the business functions (calculations, etc.), then this client is known as a(n) ____.
- a. minimum client
- b. maximum client
- c. fat client
- d. thin client
- When the data is organized by entity rather than by the application that uses the data, it is called ____.
- a. table-oriented
- b. column-oriented
- c. row-oriented
- d. subject-oriented
- If each employee works in a single department and each department has only one employee, the relationship between employees and departments is ____.
- a. one-to-one
- b. many-to-many
- c. one-to-many
- d. many-to-one
- The following is an example of DBDL documentation for an Employee table ____.
- a. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip, (WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum) )
- b. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip, WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum)
- AK SocSecNum
- SK LastName
- FK DepartmentNum ® Department
- c. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip)
- d. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip)
- One guideline for writing programs for concurrent updates in a PC-based DBMS states that if an update transaction must lock more than one row in the same table, the whole table must be locked.
- The DBMS accomplishes ____ by reading the log for the problem transactions and applying the before images to undo their updates.
- a. concurrent update
- b. authentication
- c. backward recovery
- d. batch processing
- Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum)
- Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip)
- If you combine the two tables shown above, the result would be ____.
- a. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City State, Zip, WageRate, SocSecNum)
- b. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum, EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, Street, City, State, Zip )
- c. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum, Street, City, State, Zip)
- d. Employee (EmployeeNum, LastName, FirstName, WageRate, SocSecNum, DepartmentNum, (Street, City, Zip) )
- The information-level design methodology involves representing the individual user view as a collection of tables, refining them to eliminate any problems, and then merging them into a cumulative design.
- ____ contain information about table relationships, views, indexes, users, privileges, and replicated data.
- a. Workgroups
- b. Journals
- c. Datalists
- d. Catalogs
- In DBDL, you represent a table by listing all columns and then underlining the primary key.
- A column that you create for an entity to serve solely as the primary key and that is visible to users is called a(n) ____.
- a. natural key
- b. surrogate key
- c. artificial key
- d. synthetic key
- The second step in creating a user view is to normalize the tables.
- A table is in first normal form if it does not contain ____.
- a. repeating groups
- b. dependencies
- c. a primary key
- d. anomalies
- ____ integrity implies that the value entered for any field should be consistent with the data type for that field.
- a. Format
- b. Data type
- c. Secondary
- d. Legal value
- Potential problems in the design of a relational database are known as ____.
- a. modification anomalies
- b. relational anomalies
- c. update anomalies
- d. select anomalies
- An alternate key is a ____.
- a. surrogate key
- b. row that could be a primary key but was not chosen
- c. column that could be a primary key but was not chosen
- d. natural key
- In a DDBMS, the site where the user is located is called the local site.
- An alternative to the primary key of a table is listed with the ____ abbreviation in DBDL.
- a. FK
- b. AK
- c. PK
- d. SK
- The catalog is maintained by ____.
- a. the user
- b. the author of the tables in the database
- c. the DBMS
- d. the database administrator
- The more important it is to avoid redoing work, the more often you should make backups.
- A table that is in first normal form is better than one that is in second normal form.
- Partial dependencies are dependencies on only a portion of the ____.
- a. first column or attribute
- b. intelligent key
- c. index key
- d. primary key
- After the information-level design is completed, the ____ is the next step.
- a. table-level design
- b. modality-level design
- c. DBMS-level design
- d. physical-level design
- Second normal form can be defined as a table that is in first normal form but that contains no ____.
- a. nonkey columns
- b. alternate keys
- c. interrelation constraints
- d. partial dependencies
- In some database systems, such as Microsoft Access, users can access and update metadata about fields, tables, relationships, and indexes.
- ____ is the process of returning the database to a state that is known to be correct from a state known to be incorrect.
- a. Replication
- b. Commit
- c. Recovery
- d. Rollback
- Data about the data in a database is known as ____.
- a. hyperdata
- b. basedata
- c. metadata
- d. universaldata
- A(n) ____ is a primary key that consists of a column that uniquely identifies an entity, such as a person's Social Security number.
- a. natural key
- b. synthetic key
- c. surrogate key
- d. artificial key
- Removal of repeating groups is the starting point in the quest to create tables that are as free of problems as possible.
- Because the clients and the server perform different functions and can run two different operating systems, there is an arrangement of client/server architecture known as ____.
- a. single-tier architecture
- b. two-tier architecture
- c. three-tier architecture
- d. four-tier architecture
- In the standard E-R diagrams, relationships are drawn as ____, with lines connecting the entities involved in relationships.
- a. circles
- b. rectangles
- c. squares
- d. diamonds
- If two or more users are waiting for the other user to release a lock before they can proceed, this is known as a ____.
- a. timestamp
- b. deadlock
- c. commit
- d. transaction
Recently Asked Questions
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Anthony and Sarah are a cybersecurity team hired by a young but growing mobile device manufacturer to beef up their infosec operations. The company had two
- In 2015, just in time for the holiday season, Mattel released its WiFi-enabled Hello Barbie doll, which allowed the doll's microphone to record conversations