• Choose a topic related to computer technology that interests you. Possible subjects can be gleaned from your text.
• Narrow the topic to a specific search. If you are interested in available storage devices, for example, narrow your topic to a particular item such as a USB flash drive.
• Write a statement in Appendix B next to Search Statement that explains exactly what you are searching for, then complete the following steps:
o Decide which keywords from your statement to use for your search. Use at least two and record them in Appendix B next to Search Keywords.
o Choose three search engines from which to begin your research, such as google.com, yahoo.com, live.com, ask.com, and lycos.com. You may choose from this list or find your own.
o Create hyperlinks to each search engine in Appendix B. To create this hyperlink:
• Access a site.
• Highlight the Web address in the address box.
• Copy (Ctrl + C) the address.
• Paste (Ctrl + V) the address into Appendix B next to search engine 1, 2, or 3.
o Open the search engine by clicking on its URL. Insert the keywords into the appropriate box and press the Enter key. Record the number of results as well as the top three Web links listed for each of your searches in Appendix B. It may be easiest to highlight, then copy and paste the corresponding URLs directly into Appendix B.
o Using the same keywords, conduct two more searches each with a different search engine.
o Conduct another set of searches with the same keywords, but using a Boolean such as and, or, or not. Note: Different search engines may use different words or symbols for the Boolean searches. You must find out how to do this with each search engine.
o Note the number of results for each of your Boolean searches and record it in Appendix B.
• Summarize by answering the following questions in 100 to 350 words:
o What are some of the advanced search options available with each search engine?
o What other services beside the search engine does each site offer?
o What did you like about each search engine? What did you not like?
o Which of the three search engines did you find the most effective? Why?
o Why do you think the use of Booleans did or did not affect the number of results returned by the search engines?
• Complete the matrix in Appendix B.
Hello, We can only answer your free 3 questions per day one at a time. Please re-submit an individual question here:... View the full answer
This question was asked on May 23, 2010 and answered on May 24, 2010.
Recently Asked Questions
- A. You just computed a z -statistic. What is the definition of z -statistic? B. The local preschool reported that it had 34% fewer accidents than the national
- Can someone help me figure out the pros and cons of outsourcing the information system development. Also, what should the management consider when they decide
- the number of credits being taken by a sample of 13 full time college students are listed below. find the mean, median and mode of the data if possible. If any