Term Paper: Mobile Computing and Social Networks
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
There are thousands of iPhone Apps, iPad Apps, and Android Apps that have been developed to perform
a myriad of tasks and processes. Initially, most of these applications were games intended to be played
on mobile devices. The popularity of these applications led businesses to ponder whether some of their
business process applications that run on desktop platforms and the Web could be redesigned to run on
mobile devices. The answer was a resounding yes!
For example, Nationwide developed the Nationwide® Mobile, a free iPhone App that allows its insurance
policyholders to file a claim on the spot when an accident occurs. The application can snap pictures of the
accident and attach them to the claim data and upload the claim information to a server. This reduces the
length of time to process a claim filed this way. Nationwide competitors have followed suit and developed
iPhone, iPad, and Android applications of their own. Policyholders can receive messages via Facebook or
Other business processes that have been reengineered as a result of mobile computing include Quick
Response (QR) codes which have replaced one-dimensional bar codes. They are read using mobile
devices, accepting credit card payments from an iPhone, iPad or Android device, depositing checks using
an iPhone without visiting a bank, and many more.
Write a ten to fifteen (10-15) page term paper in which you:
1. Assess the effectiveness and efficiency mobile-based applications provide to capture geolocation
data and customer data, and quickly upload to a processing server without users having to use a
2. Evaluate benefits realized by consumers because of the ability to gain access to their own data
via mobile applications.
3. Examine the challenges of developing applications that run on mobile devices because of the
small screen size.
4. Describe the methods that can be used to decide which platform to support, i.e., iPhone, iPad,
Windows Phone, or Android.
5. Mobile applications require high availability because end users need to have continuous access
to IT and IS systems. Discuss ways of providing high availability.
6. Mobile devices are subjected to hacking at a higher rate than non-mobile devices. Discuss
methods of making mobile devices more secure.
7. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites
do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
Recently Asked Questions
- Scenario: You are a criminal investigator for the Small City P.D., which has a population of 30,000 people. After investigating a family violence incident and
- Why is it that brands, patents, music and film publishing rights are prohibited from revelations (IAS 38)? Is it because they dont have an active market
- how you can take the WHO (World Health Organization) data and parlay that into information easily spread and understood by a layperson?