o Goode, E. (2011, August 15). Sending the police before there’s a crime. Retrievable here.
o Pearsall, B. (2010, May). Predictive policing: The future of law enforcement? National Institute of Justice Journal, 266. Retrievable here.
o Predictive Policing Symposium (2010). Retrievable here.
o Shurkin, J. N. (2011, September 13). Santa Cruz cops experiment with ‘predictive policing’. Retrievable here.
o Willis, J. J., Mastrofski, S. D., & Weisburd, D. (2003). Compstat in practice: An in-depth analysis of three cities. Police Foundation. Retrievable here.
In 1994, the New York City Police Department adopted a law enforcement crime fighting strategy known as COMPSTAT (COMPuter STATistics). COMPSTAT uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to map the locations of where crimes occur, identify “ hotspots”, and map problem areas. COMPSTAT has amassed a wealth of historical crime data. Mathematicians have designed and developed algorithms that run against the historical data to predict future crimes for police departments. This is known as predictive policing. Predictive policing has led to a drop in burglaries, automobile thefts, and other crimes in some cities. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (cover page and the reference page are not included) in the required assignment page length in which you:
1. Compare and contrast the application of information technology (IT) to optimize police departments’ performance to reduce crime versus random patrols of the streets.
2. Describe how COMPSTAT, as an information system (IS), implements the four (4) basic IS functions:
3. Determine how information systems have allowed police departments that implement tools such as COMPSTAT to respond to crime faster.
4. Apply the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats analysis (SWOT analysis) on behalf of police departments that intend to implement predictive policing.
5. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources. You may use the resources above or others of your choosing.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
o Explain how the components of an information technology system interrelate in an organizational context.
o Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems and technology.
o Write clearly and concisely about topics related to information systems for decision making using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Recently Asked Questions
- The water works commission needs to know the mean household usage of water by the residents of a small town in gallons per day. They would like the estimate to
- 1) The following table shows the profile, by the math section of the SAT Reasoning Test, of admitted students at UCLA for the Fall 2014 semester. Determine the
- 1. Describe a clinical experience that was troubling to you. Describe what bothered you about the experience and what could have you done differently