• Allow employees to register for company-sponsored recreational programs, such as
soccer, softball, bowling, jogging, and walking.
• Allow employees to register for company-sponsored classes and programs to helpthem manage their weight, reduce stress, stop smoking, and manage other health-related issues.
• Track data on employee involvement in these recreational and health-managementprograms.
• Offer incentives for people to join the programs and do well in them (e.g., incentivesfor achieving weight goals, winning sports team competitions, etc.).
2. Health Coverage Costs Business Model: Develop an application to track employee
healthcare expenses and company healthcare costs. Healthcare premiums continue to
increase, and the company has changed insurance carriers several times in the past
10 years. This application should allow business modeling of various scenarios as well as
tracking and analyzing current and past employee healthcare expenses and company
healthcare costs. This application must be secure and run on the current intranet so sev-
eral managers and analysts can access it and download selected data for further analysis.
The new application must also import data from the current systems that track employee
expenses submitted to the company and the company’s costs to the insurance provider.
You believe that having this data will help you revise policies concerning employee
contributions to healthcare premiums and help you negotiate for lower premiums with
insurance companies. You estimate that this application would save your company about
$20/employee/year for full-time employees over the next four years and cost about
$100,000 to develop.
3. Cross-Selling System: Develop an application to improve cross-selling to current customers. The current sales management system has separate sections for major product and service categories and different sales reps based on those products and services. You
see great opportunities to increase sales to current customers by providing discounts
when they purchase multiple products and services. You estimate that this system would
increase profits by $1 million each year for the next three years and cost about $800,000
each year for development and maintenance.
4. Web-Enhanced Communications System: Develop a Web-based application to improvedevelopment and delivery of products and services. There are currently several incompatible systems related to the development and delivery of products and services to customers. This application would allow customers and suppliers to provide suggestions, enter orders, view the status and history of orders, and use electronic commerce capabilities to purchase and sell their products. You estimate that this system would save your company about $2 million each year for three years after implementation. You estimate that the system will take one year and $3 million to develop and require 20 percent of development costs each year to maintain.
1. Summarize each of the proposed projects in the Running Case section using a simple
table format suitable for presentation to top management. Include the name of each project, identify how each one supports business strategies, assess the potential financial
benefits and other benefits of each project, and provide your initial assessment of the
value of each project. Write your results in a one- to two-page memo to top management,
including appropriate back-up information and calculations.
2. Evaluate the four projects in the Running Case section by preparing a weighted scoring model using the template provided on the companion Web site for this text. Develop at least four criteria, assign weights to each criterion, assign scores, and then calculate the weighted scores. Print the spreadsheet and bar chart with the results. Also write a one-page paper that describes this weighted scoring model and the results.
3. Prepare a business case for the recreation and wellness intranet project. Assume that the project will take six months to complete and cost about $200,000. Use the business case template provided on the companion Web site for this text.
4. Prepare a project charter for the recreation and wellness intranet project. Assume that the project will take six months to complete and cost about $200,000. Use the project charter template provided in this text and the sample project charter provided in Table 4-1 as guides.
5. Prepare a change request for the recreation and wellness intranet project, using the template provided on the companion Web site for this text. Be creative when making up
The answer is... View the full answer