PART IWhich of the following is not a power of the grand jury?
- Multiple Choice - Seven (7) questions each worth five (5) points each, for a total of thirty-five (35) points for this section.
a. to convict b. to indict c. to subpoena d. to grant immunity
- Which of the following is not a charging document used in the US criminal justice system?
a. arrest warrant b. complaint c. indictment d. writ of certiorari
- The burden of proof at a grand jury is_________________.
a. preponderance of the evidence b. probable cause
c. reasonable suspicion d. proof beyond a reasonable doubt
- During the pretrial stage, the process of _______________ takes place.
a. sequestration b. discovery c. trial d. appeal
- The most important victim characteristic that influences the prosecution of a case is the victim's ____________.
a. race b. age c. social class d. prior relationship with the offender
- ______________ have traditionally been the forgotten participants in the criminal justice system.
a. defendants b. prosecutors c. victims d. judges
- Compared to the average citizen, a felony defendant is more likely to be;
a. younger b. male c. less educated d. all of the above
PART II - True or False. Six (6) questions each worth five (5) points, for a total of thirty (30) points total for this section.
- Many legal protections in our system, like the right to confront witnesses, are not applicable at the grand jury stage._____________
- Defendant's charged only with simple drug possession offenses are the most likely to be denied bail.___________
- Once entered, a guilty plea made pursuant to a plea bargain may never be withdrawn by the defendant.__________
- African-American males are far more likely than white males to serve time in a jail or prison during their lifetimes.________
- Rates of female offenders have been increasing in recent years. ________
- Many victims are reluctant to testify in court for fear of retaliation._____
PART III - Completions. Please complete each of the following seven (7) statements with one of the words found below. Each question is worth five (5) points for a total of thirty-five (35) points for this section. You may use each answer only once.
- Victim/witness ___________________ programs encourage participation in the court process by reducing inconveniences faced by those who appear in court.
- A defendant who has a lengthy criminal record may be considered a ________________.
- A victim may choose to make an _____________________ at the defendant's sentencing hearing.
- _____________ is given as a financial guarantee that the released defendant will return to court.
- The defendant is formally told the charges and asked to enter a plea at the _________________
- The ____________________ decides if the accused should be indicted.
- Holding a defendant in custody prior to their trial in the belief that the defendant may commit further crimes or flee the jurisdiction is known as _________________.
Grand jury trial jury bail
Career criminal booking preventive detention
Impact statement assistance ROR arraignment
277,629 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses