Which of the following is NOT a directly related to an earthquake:
-Brittle failure of rocks
-rapid rise of magma to initiate a volcanic eruption
-making of limestone caves by gradual dissolution of the rock
Any carbon bearing material can be converted to a diamond at elevated pressures and temperatures.
Fragments of lava found frozen in rocks are referred to as Xenoliths.
Atmosphere stores more Carbon than the Oceans.
The discovery that Earth has a liquid outer core is based on the observation that:
-Seismic waves speed up when traveling through the core region.
-Compressive-type P waves get absorbed in the outer core.
-Shear-type S waves get absorbed in the outer core
-Seismic waves of the surface are able to travel through the outer core, just as they do through petroleum reservoir deposits.
Shown below is the phase diagram of water (H2O). The diagram shows the relationship of various phases (physical states) of H2O in response to the environmental conditions - pressure and temperature in this case. Based on the ideas we discussed in class, study the diagram below and answer the following questions.
- The phase of H2O you will likely see at 1atm pressure and 25 oC temperature is _______________.(1 point)
- If an astronaut opens a bottle of liquid water on the day-side of the moon, the water will turn into ___________(Ice/liquid/Vapor). (1 point)
- If the astronaut left a bottle of water at the bottom of a crater on the night-side of the moon, the water in the bottle will be _________ (Ice/liquid/Vapor). (1 point)
- Triple point of water is a unique temperature and pressure condition where ice, liquid water and water vapor all are in equilibrium, hence co-exist. You decide to perform a simple experiment by tossing several ice-pieces in a pot of boiling water, which already has liquid and vapor together. So, now you can observe ice, water and steam all together. Is this also a triple point? ____________ (Yes/No). (1 point)
- Atmospheric pressure on Mars is slightly below 0.006 atm, while the surface temperature in the equatorial region ranges from -100 C at night to +70 C during day time. If you were on a 24 hour lookout on the Mars equator, the form(s) of water (H2O) you would see on Mars during the day time would be________, while at night time you would see water in the form of _____. Would you see any liquid water on Mars surface? ________ (3 points)
Match the columns
A.Mantle Hot Spot
C.Earthquakes in the ocean
D.Subduction zone volcano
Match the columns with the corresponding characterstics:
B.Projection of the rupture point on the surface.
E.Actual rupture location, also the origin of all body waves.
QUESTION 1 The statement not related to earthquake is; making of limestone caves by gradual dissolution of the rock This is... View the full answer
- I hope this helps you. Thank you
- Apr 02, 2018 at 4:01am
Sign up to view the full answer
Ans (1) - making of limestone caves by gradual dissolution of the rock. (2) - Any carbon bearing material can be converted to... View the full answer