Who is Unemployed and Why?
The data presented for this discussion board is employment/unemployment statistics for different ethnic groups published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It is not meant to provoke anything offensive, or any kind of racial discrimination or profiling. We are trying to analyze patterns of employment among different groups and how education affects employment characteristics of these groups. We will also attempt to identify barriers groups face when they are in the job market.
Please look at the data in the following link, and answer the following questions based on the data.
(Links to an external site.)
Links to an external site.
1. Which ethnic group has the highest labor force participation rate?
2. Which ethnic group has the lowest labor force participation rate?
3. What education level has the highest employment rate?
4. What education level has the lowest employment rate?
Once you have the above information, comment on some of the reasons why you think we see statistics like these! As good economists, let us make sure we apply POSITIVE analysis. So, please do not say things like people are lazy and do not want to work. Please also do not say it is because of racism or white privilege. Let us use the statistics and apply Economic Analysis to it rather than Social and Cultural analysis. We start with the assumption that everyone faces incentives, and works in their self-interest. If that is true, then everyone wants to do better in life and make enough money to support their families.
Watch the following video based on research by Dr. Sendhil Mullainathan. How do you think his results impact the employment and unemployment statistics you just observed from the BLS data above? Do they confirm the data above or do they go contrary to the data? Please make sure your analysis is positive and free of emotional statements.
Recently Asked Questions
- Let x be the age of a licensed driver in years. Let y be the percentage of all fatal accidents (for a given age) due to failure to yield the right of way. For
- Image #15: Which of the following is incorrect? A. Red arrow “R” pathway is involved in reflex postural movement control. B.Blue arrow “T” pathway
- If you were appointed the leader for a newly established team, describe how you would gain consensus and ensure that all members of the team knew what they had