1 Price vs. quantity
Assume that the estimated marginal cost of a technology to purify water is EMC = 2 + 2q. Assume that the marginal benefit of one unit of cleaner water is M B = 14 − 2q.
- What is the estimated optimal quantity of cleaner water?
- What is the estimated optimal price, pe, to pay for one unit of cleaner water?
- Now assume the true marginal cost is MC = 6 + 2q. What is the true optimal quantity of cleaner water?
- If we use the former optimal estimated quantity (in a.) to coordinate, how many units of cleaner water will be generated? Do we over-generate or under-generate cleaner water? Draw a graph and show the welfare loss.
- If we use the former optimal estimated price to coordinate, how many units of cleaner water will be generated? Do we over-generate or under-generate cleaner water? On the same graph, show the welfare loss.
- Is the price signal better, or is the quantity signal better in this case, in terms of having smaller welfare loss? Why?
Recently Asked Questions
- Using LP to maximize audience exposure in an advertising campaign is an example of the type of LP application known as .
- The process of making conjecture about the value of a population parameter , collecting sample data that can be used to assess this conjecture , measuring the
- Eldyn is conducting a study on anxiety and academic performance , and he indicates how he is measuring anxiety . By doing so , Eldyn is giving a (n) :