The issue of price setting and price controls is great political and social as well as economic interest; it's often very hard to separate these dimensions. Consider the article below that deals with the always hot topic of the minimum wage law. This is an area of great political, social, and economic interest, and it illustrates the difficulty in separating these dimensions in real life.
Mythology of the Minimum Wage by D. W. MacKenzie (2006). Retrieved August 12, 2009.
1. In economic terms, what are the market consequences of a price floor? Discuss the economic implications of implementing a legal mimimum wage.
2. What do the laws of supply and demand predict would be the result of an immediate removal of minimum wage in terms of the price of labor and the quantity available?
3. Do you believe that the minimum wage should be raised in order to provide workers with a better standard of living? Why or Why not?
4. Is the minimum wage law an effective poverty-fighting measure? Discuss at least one alternative policy.
Recently Asked Questions
- Which of the following statements is false? The IRR can provide information on how sensitive your analysis is to errors in the estimate of your cost of
- You are considering investing in a start up project at a cost of $100,000. You expect the project to return $500,000 to you in seven years. Given the risk of
- Temporary Housing Services Incorporated (THSI) is considering a project that involves setting up a temporary housing facility in an area recently damaged by a