The issue of price setting and price controls is great political and social as well as economic interest; it's often very hard to separate these dimensions. Consider the article below that deals with the always hot topic of the minimum wage law. This is an area of great political, social, and economic interest, and it illustrates the difficulty in separating these dimensions in real life.
Mythology of the Minimum Wage by D. W. MacKenzie (2006). Retrieved August 12, 2009.
1. In economic terms, what are the market consequences of a price floor? Discuss the economic implications of implementing a legal mimimum wage.
2. What do the laws of supply and demand predict would be the result of an immediate removal of minimum wage in terms of the price of labor and the quantity available?
3. Do you believe that the minimum wage should be raised in order to provide workers with a better standard of living? Why or Why not?
4. Is the minimum wage law an effective poverty-fighting measure? Discuss at least one alternative policy.
Recently Asked Questions
- The purpose of the ceteris paribus assumption used in economic analysis is to :
- Refer to Figure 1 . If the market is in equilibrium , total consumer and producer surplus is
- Assume that Billabong ® hooded sweatshirts and Quiksilver ® hooded sweatshirts are substitutes . Ceteris paribus , if the price of Billabong ® hoodies