"Is it so bad to grow up Asian in America? One might be forgiven for asking upon encountering "American Born Chinese," a graphic novel that, with its dark exploration of Asian-American adolescence, won last year's Michael L. Printz Award for young adult literature and was also a finalist in its genre for a National Book Award.
After all, Asians are widely perceived to have it easier than other minorities in the United States, especially African-Americans, whose coming-of-age struggles have been chronicled for decades by writers like Walter Dean Myers, Jacqueline Woodson and Sharon G. Flake. But in "American Born Chinese," Gene Luen Yang makes growing up Chinese in California seem positively terrifying." Do you agree or disagree with this excerpt from the New York Time Book Review? Please use textual evidence to support your answer.
2. Who is the Monkey King? What happens to him in American Born Chinese?
3. Focus on page 29. The Chinese herbalist tells Jin that "It's easy to become anything you wish so as long as you're willing to forfeit your soul." Do you think that Jin forfeit's his soul in the book? If so, explain why and use textual evidence to support your answer. If not, explain why and use textual evidence to support your answer.
4. When Jin initially meets Suzy Nakamura, he states that they avoided each other as much as possible. Why did they do? Please use textual evidence to support your answer.
5. Describe Jin's childhood encounters with Wei-Chen. Use textual evidence to support your response.
6. Describe Danny's relationship with Chin-Kee. Use textual evidence to support your claim.
7. Focus on page 96. What is preventing Wei-Chen and Suzy from standing up for themselves?
8. Describe Jin's date with Amelia. Would you consider it a successful date? Were you surprised at how they interacted after the date? Use textual evidence to support your response.
9. Why does Jin kiss Suzy? Analyze the fight between Wei-Chen and Jin. Use textual evidence to support your analysis.
10. Explain the relationship between Chin-Kee, Danny, and Jin. Please use examples/textual evidence from the book to support your answer.
11. Explain Wei-Chen's transformation at the end of the book. What caused him to change? Do you think that he is at peace with himself? Please use textual evidence to support your response.
12. Does Jin resolve any of the conflicts that troubled him throughout the book? Use textual to support your answer.
Recently Asked Questions
- In Pollock v . Farmers Loan and Trust Co . , the Supreme Court held that the individual income tax was unconstitutional because :
- Annual mid-ocean surface temperature changes in the tropics are about ________ °C .
- : Fast Foods had established the standard direct labour time of 4 minutes to serve a typical meal . Labour costs $ 6.50 per hour . During September Fast Foods