Everyday life can be filled with long list of things that need to be done. Without the necessity skills to meet these demands, it is easy to lose track of deadlines, forget appointments, or misplace important information. By consistently implementing the skills of effective time management and organization, even the most hectic of schedules can become more manageable.
The most important aspect of practicing effective time management is learning to create a schedule that provide the time you need to complete necessary task. An effective way to do this is to determine whether you will have time to add new task to your schedule. Digital calendars, task management applications, and paper agendas are all widely available tools to manage time and keep track of obligations. By making a habit of recording tasks and events as soon as you receive them, you will maintain a constant record of what time you available. By effectively managing your time through diligent scheduling, you will always know what needs to be done and when you have time to do it.
Maintaining an organized environment is an important part of finishing task quickly and effectively. One way to do this is by creating designated locations for different types of information. Whether the information is in the form of physical file folders, books, or digital materials, organization will reduce the time you spend searching for the resources and information you need.
Only with consistent practice do the skills of time management and organization become effective tool for managing your everyday schedule. When practiced on a regular basis, these skills provide you with more control as well as a more orderly approach to whatever kind of schedule you might have.
Questions 1-6 Passage "Time Management"
1. Which of the following proposed titles best summarizes the topic of the passage?
a. Technology and Time Management
b. Identifying the Demands of Everyday Life
c. Effective Use of Filing Techniques
d. Implementing Skills for Effective Scheduling
2. According to the passage, which of the following is the most important aspect of how the two skills it discusses are implemented?
3. Which of the following individuals exemplifies a recommendation made by the passage?
a. A student who makes a list of the days assignments
b. A teacher who schedules two meetings for the same time
c. A teacher who leaves a group of unused files on his desktop
d. A student who passes a test after studying
4. Which of the following words best defines the topic of this passage?
5. The passage is an example of which of the following types of writing?
6. Which of the following sentences restates the main claim of the passage?
a. Technology is the best way to manage a busy schedule
b. Organization and time management work together to improve scheduling
c. Organizing information can make simple tasks more successful
d. A stressful schedule can lead to mistakes
Artist Frida Kahlo was born on July 6, 1907, in Mexico City. Kahlo began painting after she was severely injured in a bus accident in 1925. Today, she is considered one of Mexico's greatest artists.
Kahlo grew up in the home where she was born - later known as the Blue House or Caza Azul. Her father, Guillermo, was a photographer who had emigrated from Germany to Mexico, where he met and married her mother Matilde. She had two older sisters, Matilde and Adriana. Her younger sister, Cristina, was born the year after Frida.
At age 6, Frida contracted polio, which confined her to bed for 9 months. Upon recovery, she limped when she walked because of damage to her right leg and foot. Her father encouraged her to take up soccer, swimming and even wrestling - highly unusual activities for a girl at the time - to help aid in her recovery.
On Sept. 17, 1925, Kahlo was travelling on a bus that collided with a streetcar. She sustained serious injuries in the accident, including a broken spine, collarbone, ribs and pelvis. She stayed at the Red Cross Hospital in Mexico City for several weeks, then returned home to recover. She began painting during her recuperation and finished her self-portrait the following year. Her parents supported her artwork. Her mother had an easel made that Kahlo could use while in bed and her father gave her a box of oil paints and brushes. In 1938, Kahlo had her first solo art exhibition in New York City.
As an adult, Kahlo became politically active, joining the Young Communist League and the Mexican Communist Party. She and her husband, the painter Diego Rivera, befriended Leon Trotsky in 1937 after he fled to Mexico for political asylum from the Soviet Union.
7. Which of the following lists the correct sequence of events in artist Frida Kahlo's life?
a. Frida was born at Caza Azul, her sister Adriana was born, she began painting self-portraits.
b. Frida was in a traffic accident, began painting, learned to play soccer.
c. Frida contracted polio, was in a traffic accident, became active in the Communist Party
d. Frida contracted polio, learned to wrestle, her sister Cristina was born.
8. Which of the following describes the author's tone in the passage?
9. In which of the following sources would a reader most likely find the passage?
a. A museum exhibit of artists who had socialist political viewpoints
b. A newspaper article about the death of Kahlo
c. A book about Mexican surrealist art
d. An encyclopedia article about Kahlo
10. A student wants to learn more about Frida Kahlo's political activities. To which of the following articles should they refer?
a. "Notable Members of the Mexican Communist Party"
b. "The Cold War: 1947 to 1991"
c. "The Complete Works of Frida Kahlo"
d. "Frida Kahlo, Artist, Diego Rivera's Wife"
11. Which of the following would be considered a primary source about Frida Kahlo?
a. A newspaper article about the traffic accident
b. A letter written by Frida Kahlo to Diego Rivera
c. An encyclopedia entry about Frida Kahlo
d. A magazine article about Frida Kahlo first solo art exhibition.
How to safely take over-the-counter cough and cold medicines:
- Read the label to determine the appropriate dosage. Do not take more than the recommended dosage.
- Do not combine cough and cold medicines together. Different medicines may contain the same active ingredient. When you combine medicines, you may take too much of the same medication.
- Do not combine cough and cold medicines with prescription medications. If you are taking prescription medications, do not take cough and cold medicine unless directed by your health care provider.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking cold medicines that make you drowsy: Combining alcohol with cough and cold medicine can increase drowsiness.
The following questions are based on these directions.
12. A consumer reads these directions on a box of over-the-counter cold medicine. In which of the following instances should the consumer consult with a health care provider?
a. Determining the appropriate dosage
b. Combining cough and cold medicines together
c. Drinking alcohol while taking cold medicines that make you drowsy
d. Combining cough and cold medicines with prescription medications.
13. Which of the following signals importance in the set of directions?
a. The use of boldface type
b. The size of the type
c. The use of implied commands
d. The bullets used
Help wanted - Administrative Specialist
Two years of experience in general office, clerical, and administrative support work. Education from an accredited college of an associate degree or higher.
This position will act as lead worker for the central office and ensure prompt processing of all office communications. Must have excellent administrative, operations, accounting, computer and communication skills.
For the first interview, mail a letter of interest and resume to Administrative Specialist Inc., 123 First St., Smith, KS 66555 by August 8. Three references required if granted a second interview.
The following questions are based on the advertisement
14. Which of the following is a minimum requirement to apply for the position of administrative specialist?
a. Having a leadership experience
b. Having a letter of interest and resume
c. Having an associate degree
d. Having three references
15. when are the three references required?
a. Upon request
b. During the first interview
c. Upon submission of application
d. During the second interview
The Kepler spacecraft was designed to investigate humanity's last unexplored frontier: the far reaches of space. The NASA space telescope looks deep into the Milky Way galaxy for signs of habitable planets where humans could potentially thrive. In the thousands of planets, it has identified, three are in livable orbits similar to Earth.
The planet most similar to Earth is Kepler 186f, known as "Earth's cousin." Over 490 light years away, all that NASA knows is that Kepler 186f's size and distance from its star are comparable to Earth. As technology advances, hopefully we will learn more about Kepler 186f's ability to nurture life. Perhaps someday our descendants will cross the insurmountable distance to explore the surface of Earth's cousin, maybe even contact with life on another world.
The following questions are based on this passage
16. Which of the following best describes the main idea of the second paragraph?
a. Scientists know many facts about the planet Kepler-186f
b. Conditions on Kepler-186f will allow humans to thrive
c. From what scientists have learned so far, Kepler 186f is the planet most similar to Earth
d. The Kepler space telescope's main mission is to explore the Milky Way
17. Which of the following is evidence for the theory that Kepler -186f may be able to support life?
a. Kepler-186f will be the destination for our descendants someday
b. Kepler-186f is an unexplored frontier
c. Kepler-186f's size and distance from its star is comparable to Earth
d. Kepler-186f is more than 490 light-years from Earth
18. Which word below best describes the author's point of view in the passage?
Although the name central park suggests that it has a clear organizing feature, New York's City's famous green space has no official center. There is no formal walkway that cuts through the park or monuments that marks its middle. Instead of symmetry, central park contains widened parks and an ever-changing landscape that appears random and rustic. Despite appearances, the park is an achievement of planning and engineering. Years of citizens campaigning for a park on New York City's Manhattan island convinced the state to purchase 750 acres of land in 1853. After a chance meeting with the project organizer, Frank Law Olmstead who was raised in Connecticut and had been deeply impressed by the public parts of England applied for the job of Park Superintendent in 1857. Olmstead was appointed Superintendent and workers began clearing the land for construction. The park now needed a design. Calvert Vaux, a British architect, who had helped to design the grounds of the White House and the Smithsonian Institution asked Olmstead to collaborate with him. The two developed a plan that would give city dwellers a tranquil growing space. After a vote by park commissioners, Vaux and Olmstead became the official designers of Central Park. Creation of the park required years of construction. Thanks in part to the use of 166 tons of gunpowder, the swampy land was transformed into gentle slopes, scenic vistas by the movement of 2.5 million cubic yards of earth. By the time construction finished, the park included 58 miles of walking paths and 7 land made bodies of water. Today, Olmstead and Vaux's work of art welcomes about 40 million visitors each year. Without itself having a single orientation, central park's natural and open designs made it a central escape from the noise and unyielding grid of the city that surrounds it.
The following questions are based on this passage
19. Which of the following paragraphs accurately summarizes the key points of this passage?
a. New York City is home to many of the nation's most famous landmarks. This is thanks in part to the active role of New York citizens take in preserving important spaces.
b. Central Park is one of the best known historical attraction because its parks, ponds and plant-like allows visitors to combine peacefulness and exercise. Central park is one of the only growing spaces in New York City. The land has been preserved because citizens persuaded the state to purchase acreage in order to protect its natural beauty. The park has provided a peaceful escape to environmentalists to this day.
c. The beginning stages of the creation of central park occurred in 1850. Superintendent Frank Law Olmstead and architect Calvert Vaux teamed up and took the lead in designing and overseeing the construction of the park. Central park is now one of New York City's most famous and often visited landmarks.
d. There is no logical reasoning behind the name for Central Park as it has no distinguishing features in the center and it is also not located in the geographical center of the city. English parts are typically much more organized. The same people design all United States landmarks in the 1800's.
20. Which of the following sentences is the main idea of the passage?
a. Famous parks like Central Park in New York City take a great amount of work and planning in order to grow from swamp land to landmarks.
b. Olmstead and Vaux are American heroes who have not received the recognition for their achievement in planning and engineering
c. The distinctive history of central park, its birth, its design and its function makes the park an important and treasured New York City landmark.
d. The citizens of New York have played a major role in the creation and maintenance of Central Park since before its creation until present.
21. Which of the following contains the author's opinion?
a. After a vote by park commissioners, Vaux and Olmstead became the official designers of Central Park
b. Olmstead was appointed Superintendent and workers began clearing the land for construction.
c. Olmstead and Vaux's work of art welcomes about 40 million guests each year.
d. Calvert Vaux, a British architect who helped to design the grounds of the White House and Smithsonian Institution asked Olmstead to collaborate with him.
22. According to the passage, which of the following factors caused New York State to purchase that land that is now called Central Park?
a. New York citizens had been campaigning for years for a public park in Manhattan
b. The state need someone to oversee the construction of the park and Frank Law Olmstead volunteered.
c. The city was growing quickly and the state government was worried about running out of land.
d. The state government recognized the need for a peaceful space in a chaotic city
23. Which of the following has the same meaning as the word "rustic" as used in the passage?
24. Which of the following describes the author's main purpose in the passage?
a. To inform
b. To analyze
c. To persuade
d. To entertain
25. Which of the following statements is a logical conclusion a reader could draw from this passage?
a. Central park appeals to both New York City and residents and tourists
b. The writer of this passage is from New York City
c. Central park meets a single orienting feature to more appealing to visitors
d. Central park will be a great place for a family camping trip
Henry Tudor became Henry VIII when his father died in 1509. He reigned as King of England until his own death in 1547. History remembers him as one of the most infamous kings who ever lived Henry VIII was married six times. After the Pope denied him the right to leave his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, he turned his back on the Catholic Church and created the Church of England in 1534. Now the official head of the English church, Henry could grant himself the right to a divorce. He then married Anne Boleyn who he hoped would be able to give him a son. Henry was extremely concerned about producing a male heir to the throne. In his mind, the future of the country depended on it. In 1536, Henry fell off his horse during a jousting tournament. This injury affected his health by rendering him less active. He became morbidly obese and even more impatient to have a son. When Anne Boleyn failed to have a male child, Henry had her executed. His next wife, Jane Seymour finally gave birth to a boy named Edward. After Jane Seymour passed away due to birth complications, Henry married three more times. The unluckiest of his following wives was Catherine Howard who was executed for alleged adultery. There was a rapid succession of Henry's children to the throne after his death in 1547. Despite desperately wanting to ensure a male heir, his most prominent child turned out to be a daughter. His daughter with Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth, became Queen Elizabeth I in 1558 and reigned until 1603. Elizabeth I continued Henry VIII's legacy of power and became one of the most renowned monarchs in the history of the world.
The following questions are based on this passage
26. Which of the following words most closely matches the meaning of the word "infamous" as used in the passage?
27. Which of the following is the purpose of the passage?
a. To entertain
b. To analyze
c. To inform
d. To persuade
28. In which of the following sources is the passage likely to appear?
NO ANSWERS GIVEN
How to Prepare for a 5- Kilometer Race
Preparing to run in a 5- kilometer race needs to begin 8 weeks before the scheduled day of the race. The first and most important thing to do is to check with your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to run in a 5- kilometer race.
Establish a Running Plan
A 5-kilometer race is a little over 3 miles long. It is best to start by running a shorter distance and then gradually increase your running distance. This chart will help you to establish a running plan to ensure you are ready for race day.
Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8
1 mile 1 ½ miles 1 ¾ miles 2miles 2 ½ miles 2 ¾ miles 3 miles 3 miles
The following questions are based on this magazine clipping.
29. Which week show the greatest increase in distance over the previous week?
a. Week 2 and 4
b. Week 3 and 6
c. Week 3 and 7
d. Week 2 and 5
30. Which of the following is the purpose of the italicized words in the magazine clipping?
a. Indicates headings
b. Indicate dialogue
c. Indicate foreign words
d. Indicate title
31. Which of the following statement about the article and the graph is correct?
a. Both the article and the graph target experienced runners.
b. Both the article and the graph provide medical advice.
c. Both the article and the graph provide information on training for a 5-km run.
d. Both the article and the graph provide statistics about developing a running plan.
32. Which of the following can be used to find journal articles on a given topic?
a. A handbook
b. A style guide
c. A periodical index
d. An encyclopedia
33. Which of the following statements is true based on the data below about elite printings customers purchases?
a. The customers who have stationary printed at elite's printings spent the most money.
b. The customers who have brochures printed at elite's printings are most loyal.
c. The customers who have their newsletters printed at elite's printings also use all other services there.
d. The customers who have their shipping label printed at elite's printings also have their brochures printed there.
34. Write all of the letters that are vowels in the order that they appear in the alphabet including Y. Switch the order of the second and third vowels in the list. Change the fourth and fifth vowels to Y. What does the list of the letters look like now?
a. A I E O Y Y
b. A I E Y Y
c. A I E Y Y Y
d. A I E Y
35. He answered the attorney's question strictly with grace and panache. To determine the detonative meaning of panache, a student should which of the following references?
a. Merriam-Webster collegiate dictionary
b. Brewers dictionary of modern phrases
c. The American heritage new dictionary of cultural literacy
d. A companion to the English language
36. Claim: Lead in drinking water will harm humans
Which of the following pieces of data will be best evidence to support this claim?
a. After using water that contains high levels of lead, people started experiencing joint pain.
b. After using water that contains high levels of lead, people noticed that their toothbrush is stained yellow.
c. After using water that contains high levels of lead, people reported a metallic taste.
d. After using water that contains high levels of lead, people reported leaking pipes.
Read the label below and answer the questions
Label not available
37. A doctor recommends that her patient eats a diet that is high on protein but moderate in sodium. Which of the following meats will be the best choice for this diet?
38. Patrons of the medical clinic are expected to use the north entrance. All staff members are required to use staff entrance. Which of the following is a synonym of patrons?
b. Social workers
Read the instructions below and answer the questions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray. Roll the previously refrigerated cookie dough into 1 inch balls. Arrange on the cookie sheet 2cm apart. When the oven is hot, bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to cookie rack 5 minutes before eating.
39. Which of the following step should the baker take immediately before rolling the cookie dough into balls?
a. Preheat the oven to 350°F
b. Refrigerate the cookie dough
c. Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray
d. Arrange on the cookie sheet 2cm apart
Alfredo Mix Directions
For 2 servings:
1/3 cup milk,
3 tbsp. plus 1 tbsp. butter,
1/3 lb. fettucine,
¼ cup Alfredo mix,
Optional: Substitute milk or chicken broth for half the butter.
Cook pasta according to directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan and add milk. Add Alfredo mix. Whisk briskly until combined. Stir and add to a sauce.
40. Which of the following is correct according to the directions?
a. One-third of pound of pasta is required.
b. The pasta is boiled in the sauce pan.
c. This recipe is for a family-sized meal.
d. Chicken broth can be substituted for the milk.
An editor is needed for a new corporate magazine. All applicants must have 4 years of editorial experience, a college degree in Journalism or English is required. The job requires full time hours with competitive benefits offered. The starting salary is $30,000 per year. Contact human resources at 555-555-5555 to apply
41. Using the employment advertisement above, which of the following applicants could meet the requirements of this job?
a. A writer looking for 40 hours a week.
b. A college graduate who majored in lay out design
c. A newspaper reporter who has two years of experience
d. A teacher who has taught for 4 years
42. Everyone had to drive slowly because of the high volume of traffic? Which of the following is the correct meaning of the word volume as used in the sentence?
a. The size or scale of something
b. The quantity or power of sound
c. A book forming a part of work or series
d. The capacity of a specified container
Take one tablet every 4 to 6 hours.
Not more than 3 tablets in 12 hours.
Take tablet with 8 ounces of water.
Check back with doctor if symptoms are not relieved in 2 days.
43. Using the medication label above, which of the following dosing schedules should the person follow?
a. 9am, 1pm, 7pm, 9pm
b. 6am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm
c. 8am, 10am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm
d. 7am, 9am, 3pm, 8pm
Contact: John Hemington, Human Resource director
S+F Media is seeking a new member for our web design team. An innovator at the top of the field, S+F media has been delivering sleek, polished websites and user interfaces to our clients for more than 5 years. We are looking for motivated, creative personalities with fresh ideas who are ready to contribute their talents to our company's future.
To be considered for this position, you must meet the following qualifications:
1. A bachelor's degree in art, design, programming, or a similar field.
2. Two years' experience in web design in a professional capacity.
3. Availability to work nights and weekends.
4. Ability to work independently and complete projects under tight deadlines
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a resume and portfolio to [email protected]
S+F Media | 627 Main Street, Kansas City, KS | 913.555.6260
The following questions are based on this job posting.
44. Which of the following can be inferred from this employment advertisement?
a. S+F Media is looking for a knowledgeable, creative applicant.
b. The position at S+F Media requires multiple college degrees.
c. S+F Media is looking for someone who has a sleek, polished appearance.
d. The position at S+F Media requires 5 years of experience working with clients.
45. Which of the following candidates would most be most likely to qualify for the positon at S+F Media?
a. An applicant who has a bachelor's degree in art and no job experience.
b. An applicant who has a bachelor's degree in music theory and 5 years' experience in computer programming.
c. An applicant who has a bachelor's degree in design who is taking classes at night.
d. An applicant who has a bachelor's degree in web design and 3 years' experience.
Herbs have been an integral part of our diet and pharmacy since humans began roaming the Earth. Dog owners can apply the results of using herbal nutrition and medicine for the dogs they love. To keep your dog healthy, use herbs to on a daily basis. If you should ever need them, you will have much better luck getting a sick pooch to agree to herbal medicines if it has been acclimated to them over the years. Before starting an herbal treatment program for a sick dog, it is best to receive a correct diagnosis from a qualified veterinarian. A veterinarian can provide blood counts, urinalysis, x-rays, and ultrasound diagnosis, which can pinpoint which organ system is compromised. Most importantly, dog owners should find good reference books and reputable herbalists to treat a sick with herbal medicines.
The following questions are based on the "Herbs" passage.
46. Which of the following would fit theme of the passage?
a. Different kinds of herbal medicines should not be given to healthy dogs.
b. Herbal medicines can be found in most places in the world.
c. Different kinds of herbal medicines can be used until the most effective is found.
d. Herbal medicines used for hundreds of years can be helpful in the treatment of a sick dog.
47. Which of the following statements would strengthen the argument?
a. Herbalists need good reference books to find herbs.
b. Humans have used herbal medicines for centuries.
c. Veterinarians treat many sick dogs each year.
d. Veterinarians often prescribe herbal treatments for dogs.
The pangolin is a critically endangered mammal native to Africa and Asia. Due to their unique appearance, pangolins ate the most trafficked mammal on the planet. About the size of a cat, the body and tail of pangolins are covered by hard, overlapping scales made of keratin, which protects them from attack. These distinctive scales are popular in making apparel. Additionally, many people believe that the scales and the blood of the pangolin possesses medicinal properties.
If the pangolin continues to be haunted at the current rate, the species will soon reach extinction. Many people have never even heard of the pangolin, and activists are attempting to raise the awareness about this unusual creature's plight. It is important to act quickly before the pangolin is lost forever.
48. Which of the following is a concise summary of the passage?
a. While some people have never heard of a pangolin, others have haunted pangolins for years.
b. The pangolin will soon become extinct because it is the most trafficked mammal on the planet.
c. Activists hope to raise global awareness about the pangolin, a mammal native to Africa and Asia.
d. The pangolin is valuable because its scales can be used for apparel or for medical purposes.
49. Which of the following details from the passage best supports the main idea?
a. Many people have never heard of the pangolin
b. The pangolin's scales protect it from attack
c. The pangolin is hunted due to its unique appearance
d. People believe the pangolin's blood has medicinal properties.
Recently Asked Questions
- Identify the first major adaptations that allowed plants and chordates to live on land. The adaptation for both the plant and animal is similar in function. In
- From DSM-5, select a specific Diagnosis and answer these questions: (1) Name of Disorder: (2) Diagnostic Code: (3) Diagnostic Features: (4) Associated Features
- Resource: The Art and Science of Leadership , Ch. 5 Please put together a 1five- to 2zero-slide Microsoft ® PowerPoint ® presentation Explain power