Small-Group Discussion and Summary
Before beginning your small-group discussion, you'll need to propose a thesis. You'll share your thesis, along with support for it, in a small-group discussion. To start forming your thesis, you'll first need to brainstorm and choose a topic about Victorian society that you'd like to focus on. You may select one of the topics listed below or choose a different one in consultation with your teacher.
- Possible Topic 1: Family structure and societal norms
- Literature that is set during the Victorian era reveals evidence of social structures and societal norms of that time.Consider comparing the roles of children and parents in a family structure, home life versus work life, gender roles, or marriage patterns.
- Possible Topic 2: Most significant technological invention or development
- For this topic, you might consider which technological development has had the most profound impact (positive, negative, or both) on how people live, making life different than it was in the Victorian era. If you choose this topic, you can pick any technological process or device.
You will need to determine a position on your topic for the thesis statement. Review this strategy for writing a thesis statement. Your thesis should explore a significant aspect of Victorian society.
Here are some examples of thesis statements.
- Possible Thesis for Topic 1:
- Since the Victorian era, gender roles have vastly changed, and women have redefined their roles in the workplace and at home; therefore, the quality of living within today's social structure has improved.
- Possible Thesis for Topic 2:
- The most significant technological advancement during the Victorian era was the first commercial telegraph, which opened lines of long-distance communication worldwide more than ever before and changed life for people as radically as the Internet did for people in current times.
Characters used: 0 / 15000
Once you have formulated your thesis statement, you will need to conduct research to further your knowledge about your chosen topic. Note that after researching, your position on the topic may shift or change. In such an instance, you can revise your thesis as needed. Provide a list of at least two sources that you consulted along with your notes thatquote, paraphrase, and summarize the information that support your thesis. Use appropriate citations in MLA format in order to avoid plagiarism.
Characters used: 724 / 15000
For the discussion, you'll work as part of a small group of at least two students who can participate in a discussion with you. Read these discussion guidelines to determine the best way for you to conduct a small-group discussion.
The goal of the discussion will be to share your ideas and revise your thesis based on your peers' feedback to improve it.You'll respond to one another's claims, addressing the validity and importance of the connections made in the arguments.Answer the questions in the chart about your discussion.
Characters used: 560 / 15000
Summarize the discussion of your thesis and your group's theses. Answer the questions in the chart as you reflect on the overall quality of your peer discussion.
Characters used: 323 / 15000
Recently Asked Questions
- Can i test individual values like testing numbers in a range, or checking symbols or letters in the same function and how do I. because i,m suppose to insert a
- hi, how do i get the answers using gretl?or can i just work it out by hand?
- XYZ Co . 's bonds currently sell for $ 1,080 and have a par value of $ 1,000 . They pay a $ 100 annual coupon and have a 15-year maturity , but they can be