Read the lines below from The Great Gatsby. Look for ways that Fitzgerald uses syntax for effect.
In your responses, note:
· specific patterns of phrases and sentences,
· parallel structure,
· different sentence types, and/or
· specific kinds of punctuation.
1. "As soon as I arrived I made an attempt to find my host but the two or three people of whom I asked his whereabouts stared at me in such an amazed way and denied so vehemently any knowledge of his movements that I slunk off in the direction of the cocktail table—the only place in the garden where a single man could linger without looking purposeless and alone." Chapter 3
Recently Asked Questions
- the reasons Tim O'Brien gives for not wanting to fight in Vietnam. Do you think he made the right choice? Explain why or why not.
- How long do Williams Syndrome patients live? What does someone with Williams Syndrome look like? Can Williams syndrome be treated? Can people with Williams
- I have 5 questions about this poem Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness, Thou foster-child of silence and slow time, Sylvan historian, who canst thus