Catch 22 Reading Questions: Chapters (as a reference) book pages (pdf):
- How is Luciana's relationship with Yossarian an example of a Catch 22?
"The Soldier in White"
- What chapter is chapter 17 a retelling of? What new information do we receive? How is this chapter different from the other?
- Describe the Chaplain's living conditions as well as his relationship with Corporal Whitcomb.
"Milo the Mayor"
- Examine the second paragraph of this chapter. List the words that describe the paragraph's tone. What is the stylistic effect of the second long sentence? What is the stylistic effect of the last three sentences?
"Nately's Old Man"
- Compare and contrast Nately's view of patriotism and the war with the old man's view.
- What is the Biblical allusion in this chapter? Support your answer with several SPECIFICS.
- Why is the allusion used? What is Heller trying to say about Snowden's death, war, and Yossarian's perspective?
- In chapters 24 and 25, Heller juxtaposes two points of view about the same event (Yossarian and the chaplain seeing each other at Snowden's funeral). What does Heller achieve with this narrative technique?
Chapter 26: Aarfy
9. Contrast Nately and Aarfy's definitions of true love. How do these different definitions serve to characterize them?
10. How is Nurse Cramer's reaction and response to Yossarian's injury indicative of the treatment Yossarian has been protesting the entire novel (think: how General Dreedle/Cathcart treat the men in their command; what the Soldier in White represents)?
Chapter 27: Nurse Duckett
11. In what ways is Major Sanderson used to make fun of psychoanalysis?
12. What is the role and significance of the confusion regarding Anthony F. Fortiori?
13. What is the paradoxical dilemma posed at the end of chapter 27?
Chapter 28: Dobbs
14. Explain Dobbs' change of heart about killing Colonel Cathcart.
15. What do you learn about Orr in this chapter?
16. What does Orr keep asking Yossarian to do? Why does Yossarian refuse?
Chapter 29: Peckem
17. How does Lieutenant Scheisskopf cause confusion? What is Heller illustrating through this incident?
18. Why does General Peckem embrace Scheisskopf's request? What does Peckem value and appreciate? How is this ironic?
19. Comment on Peckem's enthusiasm for bomb patterns. What do the men in positions of power value above all other things?
Chapter 30: Dunbar
20. What are some of the ways the effects of Yossarian's trauma surface in this chapter?
21. How does the incident with McWatt and Kid Sampson further support Yossarian's panic and terror? Think about where it happens and what the men are doing when it occurs.
342,928 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses