Stephen Crane's "The Open Boat":
A) Define the following philosophies according the the time period in which the story was WRITTEN: Determinism, Free- Will, and Fate
B) Find three quotes each that seem to support each philosophy in the story and explain why they support that philosophy.
C)Analyze the following three elements/quotes in the story by showing that each of them can feasibly argue for each of the philosophies:
1) The repitition of the seven mad gods and the question of why he had come this far if only to drown
2) this quote and the paragraphs surrounding it: ""Yes, but I love myself." A high cold star on a winter's night is the word he feels that she says to him. Thereafter he knows the pathos of his situation." (I like to compare this to John 1:-5 from the Bible: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life,a
and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.)
3) The ending of the story... the last half page up to the idea that they have become "interpreters..."
D) Then, tell me, which of the three philosophies do you most ascribe to? Why? (3 or so sentences)
Recently Asked Questions
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from CH11SB331.
- GPS Tracking Devices for child Market Overview/ mark analysis . We are planing to create a chip with a partnership of Nike or Carter's. what would be the
- Assume that the graphs show a competitive market for the product stated in the question below . Select the graph above that best shows the change in the market