Logical Fallacies 1 Activity II: Analyzing an Argument Read the following passage.
The jungle-gym area in our community park is becoming a safety hazard and should be shut down(1). Countless nights this week, I have spotted teenagers hanging around the jungle-gym well after official park hours(2). Research shows that people are far more likely to get injured playing in the dark and especially while playing on jungle-gyms(3). The teens in our community are out of control(4). Everyone knows how easily things can get out of hand when young people are unsupervised(5). The only logical thing to do is to remove the jungle-gym(6). If not, the park area could quickly become a hang out for all kinds of people, even criminals(7). Then, our entire neighborhood would go down the tubes, our property would lose value, and everyone would suffer(8).
Now, answer the following questions.
1. Which sentences contain an example of a loose or hasty generalization?
2. Identify sentences containing an example of either/or thinking.
3. Identify sentences illustrating an example of slippery slope thinking.
4. Identify a sentence which contains an example of a cause-effect error.
Recently Asked Questions
- Consider a student loan of $ 22,500 22,500 at a fixed APR of 6% for 20 years. a. Calculate the monthly payment. b. Determine the total amount paid over the
- give the domain and the range for this relation. describe whether the relation is a function or not. (4,5), (6,7), (8,8)
- What factors do you feel are most important to consider to produce an appropriate mission and vision statement for an organization