Logical Fallacies 1 Activity II: Analyzing an Argument Read the following passage.
The jungle-gym area in our community park is becoming a safety hazard and should be shut down(1). Countless nights this week, I have spotted teenagers hanging around the jungle-gym well after official park hours(2). Research shows that people are far more likely to get injured playing in the dark and especially while playing on jungle-gyms(3). The teens in our community are out of control(4). Everyone knows how easily things can get out of hand when young people are unsupervised(5). The only logical thing to do is to remove the jungle-gym(6). If not, the park area could quickly become a hang out for all kinds of people, even criminals(7). Then, our entire neighborhood would go down the tubes, our property would lose value, and everyone would suffer(8).
Now, answer the following questions.
1. Which sentences contain an example of a loose or hasty generalization?
2. Identify sentences containing an example of either/or thinking.
3. Identify sentences illustrating an example of slippery slope thinking.
4. Identify a sentence which contains an example of a cause-effect error.
Recently Asked Questions
- Assume the returns on an asset are normally distributed. Suppose the historical average annual return for the asset was 7.3 percent and the standard deviation
- 1. “Status is an important social construct because the positions we occupy lead to the roles that we play” is a quote from your textbook. How would
- Carol, a 58 year old female, presents to your clinic with fatigue and difficulty catching her breath. Although she has frequently coughed for months, the