Reading Questions for Clive Thompson's "teenagers and social Networking: It Might actually Be Good for them"
Directions: Read these questions, then and annotate Thompson's article. Answer the following questions and select evidence from Thompson's article that lead you to answer be specific.
- What is provoking Thompson to write? who or what is he responding to?
- what sorts of claims have critics made about the effects of digital technology on teens?
- What does Thompson believe to be true about teens and digital technology instead?
- How does Thompson back up his claims? Give examples of different ways he tries to convince his audience that he is right?
- What sorts of downsides/ negatives does Thompson admits to be true about digital technology?
Question for Analyzing and thinking critically ( good for annotating and digesting text)
- Thompson quotes a scientist Green field who says that with computers, we" are in distant danger of detaching ourselves from...the real world". Does Thompson seem to agree that the real world is distinct from the online world? Explain your answer.
- Thompson gives some historical examples of earlier technologies that caused " generational panic." what purpose do these historical examples serve in his argument? why do you think he brings them up?
- Describe Thompson's attitude to word teens. Does his attitudes seem different than other adults?
- How satisfying do you find Thompson's evidence? do you think he accurately captures the benefits and potential dangers of teens using digital technology?
- How do Thompson's ideas align with your own experiences or observations? How do they differ?
Recently Asked Questions
- why or why people should take a multivitamin, what vitamins are really important, give 3 vitamins that can cause harm if take wrong or in too high of quantity.
- 9. A single voice channel occupies a bandwidth of 4KHz. We need to multiplex 10 voice channels together using FDM and guard bands of 500 Hz. What is the
- I'm writing a paper about CONCEPTUALIZING AND OPERATIONALIZING race. I'm having a hard time trying to Conceptualizes race and not really sure what that means.