A person has planted a bomb in downtown Chicago, and it will detonate in forty-eight hours unless FBI agents are able to find it. You are an FBI agent, and you and your partner locate a possible suspect. You and your partner take the person to an undisclosed location. You follow procedures but are not able to get the information you need. Five hours have elapsed. You and your partner discuss the idea of using torture to extract information from this suspected bomber.
1. What facts would you need to gather in this case in order for you to believe that this person is the bomber?
2. If you had all these facts in question 1, would you use torture to extract the information from this suspect knowing it is illegal? Explain why you would or would not torture this subject.
3. Find an article discussing torture and summarize their argument for or against torture. Analyze their argument and use facts to state whether or not you agree with that argument.
Recently Asked Questions
- In order to fund her retirement, Michele requires a portfolio with an expected return of 0.11 per year over the next 30 years. She has decided to invest in
- What do you think about the fact that most business law text books include a chapter on bankruptcy?
- One experiment conducted a clinical trial method for gender selection. According to this experiment, 320 babies had been born to parents using the new method