7. The driver’s ed teacher at the local high school wants to prepare a brief description on “How to Make a Left Hand Turn” for distribution to the students enrolling in the course. The teacher’s daughter is majoring in English Literature at a nearby college and he’s thinking of asking her to write the description since she has written many essays and term papers and is considered a good writer, but a friend of his advises him to ask the head of the nearby college’s Technical Writing department. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your response.
8. You are in charge of producing a manual for your agency’s softball team. You ask one of your tech writers to “whip up a couple of pages for people who aren’t that familiar with baseball.” He says, “Well, I don’t really follow the game much myself, but I’ll do the best I can.” The manual comes back with the following two sentences. What do you say to your writer?
a) “We will be using the practice of allowing designated hitters. These are hitters who only hit.”
b) “Stealing a base is when you go from one base to another.”
9. Briefly discuss the relationship between definition, knowing your audience, and writing a set of instructions:
10. Write a set of instructions on one of the following topics; assume that your audience is a group of individuals who are recent immigrants to the United States, who are studying “English as a second language”: How to make coffee with an electric drip-coffee machine; How to change the oil in your car; How to send a fax; How to use the “express” checkout line in the supermarket (in which you check out your own purchases and bag them yourself). In each case, include a brief introductory paragraph describing the activity, its importance or use, and listing the benefits of being able to perform the procedure.
Recently Asked Questions
- RYT Inc. is considering a project that has the following cash flows. What is the project's MIRR? Year 0 1 2 3 Cash flows -$1,000 $400 $500 $400
- Analyze " B King" in terms of their Business Strategy and Operations Strategy. What competitive priority or priorities do they focus on and what are the
- I need help distinguishing the difference between PVD (peripheral vascular disease) and PAD (peripheral artery disease) and the effect they have on the body.