Match the quotations (the trope highlighted in bold) with the name of the trope below.
1. She was not a woman of many words; for, unlike people in general, she proportioned them to the number of her ideas (13).
2. A narrow income has a tendency to contract the mind and sour the temper (27).
3. A family of ten children will always be called a fine family, where there are heads and arms and legs enough for the number (28).
4. I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible (28).
5. Fine dancing, I believe, like virtue, must be its own reward (31).
6. Wisdom is better than wit, and in the long run will certainly have the laugh on her side (31).
7. I am almost afraid to tell you how my Irish friend and I behaved. Imagine to yourself everything most profligate and shocking in the way of dancing and sitting down together (32).
8. I consider a country-dance as an emblem of marriage. Fidelity and complaisance are the principal duties of both; and those men who do not choose to dance or marry themselves, have no business with the partners or wives of their neighbors (32).
9. Vanity, while seeking its own guilty triumph at the expense of another, had involved him in a real attachment, which extravagance, or at least its offspring, necessity, had required to be sacrificed (33).
10. It really was too much to hope even of Harriet, that she could be in love with more than three men in one year (37).
11. I am necessitated to say that in this reign the roman catholics of England did not behave like gentlemen to the protestants. Their behavior indeed to the Royal Family and both Houses of Parliament might justly be considered by them as very uncivil (60).
a. synecdoche____ e. simile____ i. litotes____
b. metonymy_____ f. full analogy____ j. paradox____
c. metaphor_____ g. irony____ k. paralepsis____
d. extended metaphor_____ h. hyperbole____ or praeteritio (denying while saying)
Recently Asked Questions
- Here is my 2nd tutor question. 42. (5 points) The following is the balance sheet for 2016 for Marbell Inc. Marbell Inc. Balance Sheet 12/31/2016
- Which among the following power companies is the world ’ s fifth largest wind turbine manufacturer ?
- The figure shows a square . Find the perimeter of the square .