2. Go through the Thesis Statement Essentials Checklist below. It is okay if you are not able to check off some of these characteristics.
- Is your thesis statement one sentence?
- Does it answer the question?
- Does it use specific words?
- Does it take a stand? Could someone have a different interpretation?
- Does it answer “Why does this matter?” or “So what?”
3. Based on the checklist above, revise your thesis statement so that it has all of the above qualities and include it here.
You should be able to check off some of these characteristics. Your thesis statement will definitely depend on the type of... View the full answer
- What is your main idea? For example, if you're writing an essay about your career goals and you're in the middle of a career transition, your main idea might on getting a better job. What are your subpoints? Our example writer has chosen three subpoints to support her main idea: (1) finish school, (2) prepare a resume, and (3) search for jobs. Your thesis statement should respond directly to the essay prompt and sum up your main idea. It is also helpful to preview your subpoints in the thesis statement. So, once you have everything identified (what the essay prompt is asking you to do, what your main point is, and what your subpoints are), you can put it altogether. A thesis statement for the sample essay topic might sound like this: A major goal I would like to accomplish in the next few years is getting a better job. My plan to get a better job is to finish school, prepare a résumé, and then search for jobs. - or - It is my goal in the next few years to get a better job by finishing school, preparing a résumé, and then searching for jobs.
- Jul 20, 2016 at 9:08am
- Wow the way you explained it made it so much clearer thank you so much.
- Jul 20, 2016 at 9:09am
2. It's okay if you are not able to check off some of these characteristics. In... View the full answer
Recently Asked Questions
- I need assistance with the following question for my history class
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from 888ddlfd.