Edit for Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers Practice 3 editing Paragraphs for misplaced
and Dangling modifiers, Find and correct any misplaced or dangling modifiers in the following paragraphs.
(1) Carrying overfilled backpacks is a common habit, but not
necessarily a good one. (2) Bulging with books, water bottles, and sports
equipment and weighing an average of 14 to 18 pounds, students’ backs can
gradually become damaged. (3) Because they have to plan ahead for the
whole day and often need books, extra clothes, and on-the-go meals, back-
packs get heavier and heavier. (4) An increasing number of doctors, primarily
physical therapists, are seeing young people with chronic back problems.
(5) Researchers have recently invented a new type of backpack from
the University of Pennsylvania and the Marine Biological Laboratory.
(6) Designed with springs, the backpack moves up and down as a person
walks. (7) This new backpack creates energy, which is then collected and
transferred to an electrical generator. (8) Experiencing relief from the wear
and tear on muscles, the springs make the pack more comfortable.
(9) What is the purpose of the electricity generated by these new backpacks?
(10) Needing electricity for their night-vision goggles, the backpacks
could solve a problem for soldiers. (11) Soldiers could benefit from such an
efficient energy source to power their global positioning systems and other
electronic gear. (12) Instead of being battery operated, the soldiers could
use the special backpacks and would not have to carry additional batteries.
(13) For the average student, these backpacks might one day provide convenient energy
for video games, television, and music players, all at the same
time. (14) Designed with this technology, kids would just have to look both
ways before crossing the street.