2.02 Limiting Factors Lab Report
Instructions: In this lab, investigate how limiting factors affect a population of cricket frogs in the Florida Everglades. Your scientific inquiry will focus on three limiting factors: food, predators, and pollution. Complete the following lab report to record your observations as you move through the simulation. You will submit your completed lab report for grading.
Objective(s): (3 pts)
what was the purpose of this lab?
Hypothesis: (5 pts)
In this section, please include the if/then statements you developed during your lab activity. These statements reflect your predicted outcomes for the experiment.
If predators are increased, then the cricket frog population will (increase/decrease/stay the same) over the span of five years.
If pollution is increased, then the cricket frog population will (increase/decrease/stay the same) over the span of five years.
If the amount of food available is increased, then the cricket frog population will (increase/decrease/stay the same) over the span of five years.
Procedure: (6 pts)
The procedures are listed in your virtual lab. You do not need to repeat them here. Please be sure to identify the test variable (independent variable), outcome variable (dependent variable), and control group for this experiment.
Reminder: The test variable is the item that is changing in this investigation. The outcome variable is the item that you are measuring in this investigation. The control group is the group in the experiment where the factors being tested are not applied. It allows scientists to set a baseline to compare the experimental groups that do have factors applied to them.
Test variable/s (independent variable/s):
Outcome variable (dependent variable):
Data: (7 pts)
Record your data from each trial in the data chart below:
Type of Factor
Beginning Frog Count
Simulation 1 (Low)
Simulation 2 (High)
Graphs (6 pts)
Use the graphs from the data chart in the virtual lab and analyze the data. Describe the trends present in the graphs.
Conclusion: (12 pts)
Your conclusion will include a summary and an interpretation of the lab results. Please write in complete sentences.
- Which limiting factor(s) in this lab simulation are biotic?
- Which limiting factor(s) in this lab simulation are abiotic?
- Which limiting factor impacted the cricket frog population the most? Use evidence to support your answer.
- Which limiting factor impacted the cricket frog population the least? Use evidence to support your answer.
- Mosquitoes can carry and transmit disease to animals and humans. Explain how the cricket frog plays an important role in limiting the spread of mosquito-borne illnesses like West Nile virus and malaria.
- Predict the long-term effects of these limiting factors on the cricket frog population in the pond ecosystem.
Here is one way you can answer this question. for 1,2 and 3
If ___ continues to (increase/decrease), then ____ .
Recently Asked Questions
- Any answers to these questions please minimums work shown necessary
- Topic 2. Water World Maritime boundaries are extremely important in many places in the world, and of course they take on extraordinary importance in the
- In continuous fiber composites, such as carbon fiber reinforced plastics the overall structure consists of multiple layers of orthotropic materials. Each