Subject matter: Financial management in the armed forces -
1) From what you know about the broader federal government budget processes and the role of Congress, why do you think Congress asks the DOD to present the budget in these different formats?
2) The person who prepared the budget needed a lot of information. What information do you think would be provided bottom-up from the program office (those who execute the process) and what information would be provided top-down from the service head-quarters (probably through the budget call)?
To clarify: for question 2, don't focus on expense and investment type budgets. Instead, think about the processes and who is doing it. Think about the difference between the headquarters functions (programming, issuing the budget call, and reviewing the budget) and the major command / field activity function (drafting the budget).
3) Identify the products that are the key outputs for each phase of PPBE and which serve as inputs to the subsequent phase.
You can build a table that lists each phase in one column, inputs in the second column, and outputs in the third. Or you could present it as a chronology since the output from one phase is typically the input for the next (e.g., the POM is the output of programming and an input for budgeting).
Recently Asked Questions
- Xanadu Inc . has a project team interested in reducing the projected production cost of a new product . The team would find which one of the following tools
- To compute the present value of $ 1,000 annuity received at the end of each of the next three years and discounted at the rate of 5 % per year , you should
- ________ planning dominates managers ' planning efforts at lower levels of the organization .