You are trying to estimate the fundamental growth in earnings for Janus Enterprises for the next 5 years and have obtained the following information:
· In the most recent year, Janus reported operating income of $100 million on book capital invested (at the beginning of the period) of $800 million. The firm faced a tax rate of 40% during the period.
· The firm also reported capital expenditures of $140 million and depreciation of $ 100 million in the most recent year. Non-cash working capital increased by $10 million during the year.
a)Estimate the after-tax return on capital last year for Janus.
b)Estimate the expected growth rate for the next 5 years for Janus, assuming that the return on capital and reinvestment rate remain unchanged.
c)Now assume that Janus will improve its return on capital on new investments for the next 5 years to 15% while the return on capital on existing investments will remain at current levels. Estimate the expected annual growth rate over the 5 years.
Recently Asked Questions
- Which of the following is not included in national income? a) Proprietor's income b) Net interest c) Payments of factor income to the rest of the world d) All
- Suppose the law is changed so that innovation activities by firms are taxed at a much lower rate than other company expenses a) How would this affect firms'
- In "Eating Green" by Margaret Lunderg, do you think Dennis Avery is a biased source? Why or why not? What is surprising about the quotation from Avery that