GOODTIME RUBBER CO. LTD.
Goodtime Rubber Co. Ltd. is a Taiwan tire and tube
manufacturer with its factory located in Vietnam. Goodtime's products obtained ISO-
9001 certification. Assume that Goodtime has recently developed a new model of scooter tire after extensive research and development
and that the research and development costs have totaled about $20 million. A $5 million market testing expenses has also spent and
proved that there is a significant market for the new model. The new model will be put into the market this year and is expected to stay in
the market for four years.
As a financial analyst of Goodtime, you have to evaluate and provide recommendation on whether to go ahead with the investment. Except
for the initial investment that will occur immediately, all cash flows will occur at year end. To make the new model, Goodtime has to
initially invest $150 million in production equipment. The equipment can be sold for $50 million at the end of four years. Goodtime can
sell the new model to two distinct markets:
1. Original manufacturer market—this market consists primarily of the large automobile companies that buy tires for new cars. The
new model is expected to sell for $40 per tire, and the variable cost of each tire is $25.
2. Replacement market—this market consists of all tires purchased after the automobile has left the factory. The new model in this
market is expected to sell for $50 per tire, and the variable cost of each tire is $25 which is the same as that in the original
The project will incur $25 million in marketing and general administrative costs the first year, and this cost is expected to increase at the
inflation rate in subsequent years. Goodtime also intends to raise the selling price of the new tire at the inflation rate. The annual inflation
rate is expected to remain constant at 3.5 percent. Variable costs are expected to increase at 1 percent above the inflation rate.
Automobile analysts expect automobile manufacturers will produce 5.5 million new cars this year and production will grow at 2.5 percent
per year thereafter. Each new car needs four tires. Goodtime expects the new model will capture 10 percent of the original manufacturer
Analysts also estimate that the replacement market size will be 15 million tires this year and that it will grow at 2 percent annually.
Goodtime expects the new model will capture 8 percent market share.
The equipment will be depreciated on a seven-year MACRS schedule. The immediate initial working capital requirement is $10 million,
and the net working capital requirements will be 15 percent of sales. Goodtime's corporate tax rate is 40 percent and its required return is
What are the NPV, payback period, IRR, and PI of this investment project?
Recently Asked Questions
- A 25-year, $1,000 par value bond has an 8.5% annual coupon. The bond currently sells for $1,175. If the yield to maturity remains at its current rate, what
- Jerome Corporation's bonds have 15 years to maturity, an 8.75% coupon paid semiannually, and a $1,000 par value. The bond has a 6.50% nominal yield to
- Perry Inc.'s bonds currently sell for $1,000. They have a 6-year maturity, an annual coupon of $85, and a par value of $1,000. What is their current yield ?