View the step-by-step solution to:

Question

You are an actuary who has moved into the financial advising business.  You run your business with a partner,

who is not an actuary (or a member of any professional organization for that matter), where you each have a 50/50 ownership.  Your clients are high net-worth individuals, and you generate revenues through commissions.  The products you sell to your clients are primarily a combination of mutual funds and par insurance (and expensive form of life insurance with a tax advantaged investment component).  Commissions on mutual funds are 1% of invested assets, and commissions on par insurance are 50% of first year premium, followed by 2% of premium thereafter.

You've just attracted a new client who has committed to investing $1 million per year for the next 10 years with your advising firm.  You have assessed your client's financial situation and have determined that the optimal investment mix would be 20% into par insurance, and the remaining 80% into mutual funds.  Your partner disagrees, and thinks the optimal mix is 60% par insurance and 40% into mutual funds.

You have concerns with your partner's recommendation, and you're worried that he is more concerned with earning higher commissions than the optimal investment solution for the client.


1.Which conversations you would have with your partner?  Think of how you would approach your partner given your ethical dilemma

2.Specify a plan of action that is dependent on your partner's responses to your conversation.  

Recently Asked Questions

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

-

Educational Resources
  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask 0 bonus questions You can ask 0 questions (0 expire soon) You can ask 0 questions (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes