Hoosier Inc is planning a project in the United Kingdom. It would lease space for one year in a shopping mall to sell expensive clothes manufactured in the United States. The project would end in one year, when all earnings would be remitted to Hoosier Inc. Assume that no additional corporate taxes are incurred beyond those imposed by the British government. Since Hoosier Inc would rent space, it would not have any long term assets in the United Kingdom and expects the salvage (terminal) value of the project to be about zero.
Assume that the project's required rate of return is 18 percent. Also assume that the initial outlay required by the parent to fill the store with clothes is $200,000. The pretax earnings are expected to be 300,000 pounds at the end of one year. The British pound is expected to be worth $1.60 at the end of one year, when the after tax earnings are converted to dollars and remitted to the United States. The following forms of country risk must be considered:
1. The British economy may weaken (probability = 30 percent), which would cause the expected pretax earnings to be 200,000 pounds.
2. The British corporate tax rate on income earned by U.S. firms may increase from 40 to 50 percent (probability = 20 percent).
These two forms of country risk are independent. Calculate the expected value of the project's net present value (NPV) and determine the probability that the project will have a negative NPV.
Recently Asked Questions
- Cytotoxic T (T C ) cells are like natural killer (NK) cells because they both __________. participate in innate immunity, secrete interferons, secrete TNF
- 1) Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) is an index of pollution that is monitored in the treatment effluent of paper mills on a regular basis. From 49
- Please solve assignment questions. I need it urgently. Assignment 1 Question 2 [15 Marks] Haley's Graphic Designs Inc IS considering two mutually exclusive