Points Possible: 200 Due Date: 4/25/2010 11:59:59 PM CT
Complete the following exercise in your groups:
Kim and Dan Bergholt are both government workers. They are considering purchasing a home in the Washington D.C. area for about $280,000. They estimate monthly expenses for utilities at $220, maintenance at $100, property taxes at $380, and home insurance payments at $50. Their only debt consists of car loans requiring a monthly payment of $350.
Kim's gross income is $50,000/year and Dan's is $35,000/year. They have saved about $60,000 in a money market fund on which they earned $5,840 last year (included in the $60,000). They plan to use most of this for a 20% down payment and closing costs. A lender is offering 30-year variable rate loans with an initial interest rate of 7% given a 20% down payment and closing costs equal to $5,400.
Before making a purchase offer and applying for this loan, they would like to have some idea whether they might qualify.
1. Estimate the affordable mortgage and the affordable purchase price for the Bergholts.
2. Suppose they do qualify; what other factors might they consider before purchasing and taking out a home mortgage?
3. What future changes might present problems for the Bergholts?
The real estate agent tells the Bergholts that if they don't care to purchase, they might consider renting. The rental option would cost $1,400/month plus utilities estimated at $220 and renter's insurance of $25/month. The Bergholts believe that neither of them is likely to be transferred to another location within the next five years. After that, Dan perceives that he might move out of government service into the private sector. Assuming they remain in the same place for the next five years, the Bergholts would like to know if it is better to buy or rent the home. They expect that the price of housing and rents will rise at an annual rate of 3% over the next five years. They expect to earn an annual rate of 4% on the money market fund. After federal, state, and local taxes, they get to keep only 55% of a marginal dollar of earnings.
4. Estimate whether it is financially more attractive for the Bergholts to rent or to purchase the home over a five-year holding period. (Assuming the contract interest rate of 8%, monthly interest payments over the five-year period would total $87,574.)
5. Suppose it turns out that they have to relocate after one year. Which is the preferred alternative after one year? (Interest payments over the first year would equal $17,852.)
Recently Asked Questions
- please answer to these questions fast i need the answers
- Hi I was wondering if I could just know what the questions are on the 12.4 part [I dont want the answers (Perf.) just the sentences.] I lost my book
- The potential market represents all active duty military members, all veterans, and their families. Assume that according to the United States