Deer Valley Lodge, a ski resort in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, has plans to eventually add five new chairlifts. Suppose that one lift costs $2 million, and preparing the slope and installing the lift costs another $1.3 million. The lift will allow 300 additional skiers on the slopes, but there are only 40 days a year when the extra capacity will be needed. (Assume that Deer Valley will sell all 300 lift tickets on those 40 days.) Running the new lift will cost $500 a day for the entire 200 days the lodge is open. Assume that the lift tickets at Deer Valley cost $55 a day and the added cash expenses for each skier-day are $5. The new lift has an economic life of 20 years.
1. Assume that the before-tax required rate of return for Deer Valley is 14%. Compute the before-tax NPV of the new lift and advise the managers of Deer Valley about whether adding the lift will be a profitable investment.
2. Assume that the after-tax required rate of return for Deer Valley is 8%, the income tax rate is 40%, and the MACRS recovery period is 10 years. Compute the after-tax NPV of the new lift and advise the managers of Deer Valley about whether adding the lift will be a profitable investment.
3. What subjective factors would affect the investment decision?
Recently Asked Questions
- You discover a new transport system used by a newly discovered bacterial species. The sugars that are transported using this system are phosphorylated as they
- I solved the question but not so sure if my answer is correct. The region is bonded in the first quadrant the lies below y=4 and above y=x^2 Use the slicing
- _1. When the allowance method is used for accounts receivable, when a customer account is recognized as "bad" and written off a. it is always debited to