During the last few years, Harry Davis Industries has been too constrained by the high cost of capital to make many capital investments. Recently, though, capital costs have been declining, and the company has decided to look seriously at a major expansion program that has been proposed by the marketing department. Assume that you are an assistant to Leigh Jones, the financial vice president. Your first task is to estimate Harry Davis's cost of capital. Jones has provided you with the following data, which she believes may be relevant to your task:
(1) The firm's tax rate is 40%
(2) The current price of Harry Davis's 12% coupon, semiannual payment, non-callable bonds with 15 years remaining to maturity is $1,153.72. Harry Davis does not use short-term interest-bearing debt on a permanent basis. New bonds would be privately placed with no flotation cost.
(3) The current price of the firm's 10%, $100 par value, quarterly dividend, perpetual preferred stock is $116.95. Harry Davis would incur flotation costs equal to 5% of the proceeds on a new issue.
(4) Harry Davis's common stock is currently selling at $50 per share. Its last dividend (D0) was $4.19, and dividends are expected to grow at a constant rate of 5% in the foreseeable future. Harry Davis's beta is 1.2, the yield on T-bonds is 7%, and the market risk premium is estimated to be 6%. For the bond-yield-plus-risk-premium approach, the firm uses a 4 percentage point risk premium.
(5) Harry Davis's target capital structure is 30% long-term debt, 10% preferred stock, and 60% common equity.
a. (1) What sources of capital should be included when you estimate Harry Davis's weighted average cost of capital (WACC)?
(2) Should the component costs be figured on a before-tax or an after-tax basis?
(3) Should the costs be historical (embedded) costs or new (marginal) costs?
Recently Asked Questions
- Accurate and complete documentation is a key component in preventing coding fraud and abuse in health care organizations. What are the responsibilities of the
- Go to the website for the Office of Inspector General at " http://oig.hhs.gov " After you have taken some time to review the most recent Health and Human
- Don't know if this is the kind of question you can answer but here goes. What kind of steps can a person take to improve their GFR? (glomerular filtration rate)