Review Chapters 3 and 8.
Read Review Question 8 located at the end of Chapter 3.
Select two (2) editorials / essays / columns (by staff or freelance writers) on a current issue of public policy from two (2) different publications (large metropolitan or national newspaper such as Washington Post or the New York Times or national magazines such as Newsweek, Time, and The New Republic.)
Examine Box 3.0 – Conducting a Stakeholder Analysis.
Read Demonstration Exercise 1 located at the end of Chapter 3.
Choose a policy issue area in the U.S. such as gun control, violent crime control, white-collar crime, illegal drugs, medical insurance fraud, and environmental protection of waterways, job creation, affordable health care, or Medicare.
Explore the chart features of Excel, PowerPoint for use in this assignment.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:(Note: Refer to Review Question 8 located at the end of Chapter 3 for criteria 1-3.)
1. Apply the procedures for argumentation analysis (located in Chapter 8) to display contending positions and underlying assumptions for the content of Review Question 1.
2. Rate the assumptions and plot them according to their plausibility and importance. (Refer to Figure 3.16, “Distribution of warrant by plausibility and importance.”)
3. Determine which arguments are the most plausible. Provide a rationale for your views.
(Note: Refer to Demonstration Exercise 1 located at the end of Chapter 3 for criteria 4-6.)
4. Apply the procedures for stakeholder analysis presented in Box 3.0 “Conducting a Stakeholder Analysis” to generate a list of stakeholders who affect or are affected by problems in the issue area chosen for analysis.
5. Create a cumulative frequency distribution from the list, placing stakeholders (numbered 1 – n) on the horizontal axis; placing the number of new ideas generated by each stakeholder; and then connecting the total new ideas of each stakeholder with a line graph. (Note: The ideas may be objectives, alternatives, outcomes causes, etc.; ideas should not be duplicates. The frequency distribution can be created in Excel or PowerPoint using the chart feature.)
6. Write an analysis of the results of the frequency distribution that answers the following questions: (a) Does the line graph flatten out? (b) If so, after how many stakeholders? (c) What conclusions can be drawn about the policy problems in the issue area? (Note: Compare your work with Case Study 3.1 at the end of the chapter.)
7. Provide at least two (2) academic or government resources to support your views. (Note: Do not use open source Websites such Wikipedia, Sparknotes.com, Ask.com, and similar Websites are not acceptable resources.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Recently Asked Questions
- Please see attachment for 4 questions (a-d) related to the below problem: A partnership began its first year of operations with the following capital balances:
- FINANCE ASSIGNMENT. Read the instructions carefully before committing to answer my assignment.
- Question: Taylor Furniture produces and sells three kinds of speciality mattresses; Nealy, Tersa and Pelta. Production is a machine-intensive process. Taylor's