View the step-by-step solution to:

BAC is a retailer that sells sound systems. The company is planning its cash needs for the month of January, 2017. In the past, BAC has had to borrow...

BAC is a retailer that sells sound systems. The company is planning its cash needs for the month of January 2017. in the past, bac has had to borrow money during the post-christmas season to offset a significant decline in sales. the following information has been assembled to assist in preparing a cash flow forecast for January. 

a. january 2017 forecasted income statement:

Sales                                                                              $200,000

COGS                                                                             $150,000

Gross Profit                                                                     $50,000

Variable Selling Expenses           10,000

Fixed Administrative Expenses   20,000                    $30,000

Net Income                                                                     $20,000

b. sales are 10% for cash and 90% on credit

c. credit sales are collected over a three month period with 40% collected in the month of sale, 30% in the following month, and 20% in the second month following sale. 10% of credit sales are never collected. November 2016 sales totaled $300,000 and december sales totaled $500,000.

d. 40% of a months inventory purchases are paid for in the same month. the remaining 60% are paid in the following month. accounts payable relate solely to inventory purchases. At December 31, accounts payable totaled $400,000.

e. the company maintains its ending inventory levels at 60% of the cost of the merchandise to be sold in the following month.  the merchandise inventory at december 31, 2016 was $90,000. February 2017 sales are budgeted at $150,000. Gross profit percentage is expected to remain unchanged.

f. the company pays $10,000 monthly cash dividends to shareholders. 

g. the cash balance at december 31, 2016 was $30,000. the company must maintain a cash balance of at least this amount at the end of each month. 

h. the company can borrow on its operating loan in increments of $10,000 at the beginning of each month, up to a total loan balance of $500,000. the interest rate on this loan is 1% per month, payable on the first day of the next month. there is no operating loan at December 31, 2016.


Required. Prepare a cash flow forecast for BAC for the month of January 2017. Include appropriate supporting schedules.




BAC is a retailer that sells sound systems. The company is planning its cash needs for the month of January, 2017. In the past, BAC has had to borrow money during the post-Christmas season to oFset a signi±cant decline in sales. The following informa²on has been assembled to assist in preparing a cash ³ow forecast for January. a. January 2017 forecasted income statement: Sales $200,000 Cost of goods sold 150,000 Gross pro±t 50,000 Variable selling expenses $10,000 ´ixed administra²ve expenses 20,000 30,000 Net income $ 20,000 b. Sales are 10% for cash and 90% on credit. c. Credit sales are collected over a three-month period with 40% collected in the month of sale, 30% in the following month, and 20% in the second month following sale. 10% of credit sales are never collected. November 2016 sales totaled $300,000 and December sales totaled $500,000. d. 40% of a month’s inventory purchases are paid for in the same month. The remaining 60% are paid in the following month. Accounts payable relate solely to inventory purchases. At December 31, accounts payable totaled $400,000. e. The company maintains its ending inventory levels at 60% of the cost of the merchandise to be sold in the following month. The merchandise inventory at December 31, 2016 was $90,000. ´ebruary 2017 sales are budgeted at $150,000. Gross pro±t percentage is expected to remain unchanged. f. The company pays $10,000 monthly cash dividends to shareholders. g. The cash balance at December 31, 2016 was $30,000; the company must maintain a cash balance of at least this amount at the end of each month. h. The company can borrow on its opera²ng loan in increments of $10,000 at the beginning of each month, up to a total loan balance of $500,000. The interest rate on this loan is 1% per month, payable on the ±rst day of the next month. There is no opera²ng loan at December 31, 2016. Required: Prepare a cash ³ow forecast for BAC for the month of January 2017. Include appropriate suppor²ng schedules.
Background image of page 1

Top Answer

Hey working on the... View the full answer

Sign up to view the full answer

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

-

Educational Resources
  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question
Ask a homework question - tutors are online