Assignment: Ethics Writing Assignment
Ethics play a vital role in business and in the
accounting profession. Here is an opportunity to connect you current learning about inventory with the profession's commitment to ethics.
EC5: Tiffany Lyons was just hired as the assistant treasurer of Key West Stores. The company is a specialty chain store with nine retail stores concentrated in one metropolitan area. Among other things, the payment of all invoices is centralized in one of the departments Tiffany will manage. Her primary responsibility is to maintain the company's high credit rating by paying all bills when due and to take advantage of all cash discounts.
Jay Barnes, the former assistant treasurer who has been promoted to treasurer, is training Tiffany in her new duties. He instructs Tiffany that she is to continue the practice of preparing all checks "net of discount" and dating the checks the last day of the discount period. "But," Jay continues, "we always hold the checks at least 4 days beyond the discount period before mailing them. That way, we get another 4 days of interest on your money. Most of our creditors need our business and don't complain. And, if they scream about our missing the discount period, we blame it on the mailroom or the post office. We've only lost one discount out of every hundred we take that way. I think everybody does it. By the way, welcome to our team!"
3. Should Tiffany continue the practice started by Jay? Does she have any choice?
4. Which Code of Conduct principle would you act on from the professional codes of conduct guiding ethical behavior in this field (Provide the name of the organization, and the code of conduct that pertains to why you act, and then provide the URL for your source)?
5. Based on your chosen code of conduct principle(s), what would you do (step-by-step) in order to act in accordance with your chosen principle to address this situation?
Recently Asked Questions
- Under normal conditions (65% probability), Plan A will produce a $39,000 higher return than Plan B. Under tight money conditions (35% probability), Plan A will
- . Your organization's strategic plan calls for a net increase in total assets of $100 million during the next five years, which represents an annual compounded
- Refer to Megatropolis Hospital's financial statements below for calculating the ratios requested in the next five problems. Megatropolis Hospital Statement of