Course Hero Logo
Question
Answered step-by-step

On January 1, 2020, Bridgeport Corporation erected a drilling...

On January 1, 2020, Bridgeport Corporation erected a drilling platform at a cost of $4,804,800. Bridgeport is legally required to dismantle and remove the platform at the end of its 6 year useful life, at an estimated cost of $836,000. Bridgeport estimates that 70% of the cost of dismantling and removing the platform is caused by acquiring the asset itself, and that the remaining 30% of the cost is caused by using the platform in production. The present value of the increase in asset retirement obligation related to the production of oil in 2020 and 2021 was $28,449 and $30,724, respectively. The estimated residual value of the drilling platform is zero, and Bridgeport uses straight-line depreciation. Bridgeport prepares financial statements in accordance with IFRS.


Click here to view the factor table PRESENT VALUE OF 1.

Click here to view the factor table PRESENT VALUE OF AN ANNUITY OF 1.

Part 1

Prepare the journal entries to record the acquisition of the drilling platform, and the asset retirement obligation for the platform, on January 1, 2020. An appropriate interest or discount rate is 8%. Use (1) factor Table A.2, (2) a financial calculator, or (3) Excel function PV in your calculations.


Part 2

Prepare journal entries required for the platform and the asset retirement obligation at December 31, 2020.


Part 3

Prepare journal entries required for the platform and the asset retirement obligation at December 31, 2021.


Part 4

Assume that on December 31, 2025, Bridgeport dismantles and removes the platform at a cost of $811,360. Prepare the journal entry to record the settlement of the asset retirement obligation. Also assume its carrying amount at that time is $836,000.


Part 5

Prepare the journal entries to record the acquisition of the drilling platform, and the asset retirement obligation for the platform, on January 1, 2020, assuming that Bridgeport prepares financial statements in accordance with ASPE. An appropriate interest or discount rate is 8%.


Part 6

Prepare journal entries required for the platform and the asset retirement obligation at December 31, 2020, assuming that Bridgeport prepares financial statements in accordance with ASPE.

Explain with calculation.

Answer & Explanation
Verified Solved by verified expert
Rated Helpful

ongue vel laoreet ac, dictum vitae odio. Donec aliquet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam lacinia pulvinar tortor nec facilisis. Pellentesque dapibus efficitur laoreet. Nam risus ante, dapibus a molestie consequat, ultrices ac magna. Fusce dui lectus, congue vel laoreet ac, dictum vitae odio. D

o

Unlock full access to Course Hero

Explore over 16 million step-by-step answers from our library

Subscribe to view answer
Step-by-step explanation

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

, ultrices ac magna. Fusce dui lectus, congue vel laoreet ac, dictum vitae odio. Donec aliquet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
3 Attachments
Capture 1.PNG
PNG
Capture 2.PNG
PNG
Capture 3.PNG
PNG
Student reviews
100% (3 ratings)
Recently Asked Questions
Explore recently asked questions from the same subject