You have two strains to work with:
1) Wild-type for both genes dpy-11 and unc-32: hermaphrodites and males.
2) Doubly mutant for recessive allele of genes dpy-11 and unc-32: hermaphrodites only (as males cannot mate anyway).
a) Assuming the unc-32 gene is X-linked, indicate genotypes and phenotypes (including sex and progeny ratios) of parents, F1 cross progeny and self progeny of parental hermaphrodites. Be sure to indicate the X chromosome in your genotype, e.g.: use allele symbol XU or Xu. Include the genotypes for both dpy-11 and unc-32 genes. Clearly label the generations.
b) Assuming the unc-32 gene is autosomal, write out genotypes and phenotypes (including progeny ratios and expected sexes) of parents, F1 cross progeny and self progeny of parental hermaphrodites. Include the genotypes for both dpy-11 and unc-32 genes and use the allele nomenclature that indicates that the linkage relationship is unknown. Clearly label the generations.
Based on your responses to the questions above (a) and (b), how would you determine if unc-32 is located on the X-chromosome or on an autosome? Do you need to go beyond the F1 generation to assess X-linkage?
Recently Asked Questions
- Qu. 2 What are the functions of money? (You need to describe what each function is rather than just list them) Qu. 3 What are the 5 criteria which make a good
- I am in need of hints on how to tackle the following question about data mining, especially howto come up with a prototype. I just don't know how to get
- Which does not respresent a concentration cell ?