1. Leilani Estates, just southeast of Pahoa, what hazard zone(s) is it in?
2. A volcanic hazard map was created in 1989 for the Big Island. Look at the Big Island Hazard Zone Map. Describe what Lava Flow Hazard Zone 1 and Hazard Zone two mean. (1 pt)
3. When the Hazard zone map was published back in 1989 the insurance companies got ahold of it and would not offer lava insurance for those living in hazard zone 1 and 2. Based on the information you have uncovered do you think that it was completely unfair for insurance companies like your Denyallclaims to refuse lava insurance and that the people living in the area had every right to be angry? Discuss. (2 pts)
4. Volcanoes have a tendency to be dangerous. Describe several reasons why people would choose to live near them or on the flanks of them? (2pts)
5. If given the opportunity would you go - why or why not? (1pt ec if answered completely.)
The Leilani estates to the South East of Pahoa are located in hazard zone 1. They are risk of lava flows from the surrounding... View the full answer