Inpatient Cases & DRG
Code 7 inpatient case studies in AHIMA
Vlab. To locate these, go into Vlab, see at the top of the list is PATIENT CASES and click on Activities. Next, click on Inpatient Cases and locate each medical record below. These are real charts from facilities with PHI blacked out.
348927 300301 300304 333061 400072 400103 400303
Code these cases just as you have the case studies previous done. Note that you should locate the discharge summary, history and physical, progress notes, orders, consultations, as well as test results and surgery or procedural reports.
AHA Coding Clinic Quiz
1. List two general types of Whipple procedures.
2. A patient is admitted with acute kidney injury (acute renal failure) due to dehydration. According to
coding guidelines, the acute kidney injury would always be sequenced as the principal diagnosis.
True or False
3. A patient presents with a nosocomial gram-negative bacilli sepsis/blood stream infection due
to midline catheter. Assign the appropriate ICD-10-CM codes for sepsis due to a
4. The patient was diagnosed with pancytopenia due to acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). Assign
the appropriate diagnoses codes for pancytopenia due to AML.
5. A woman diagnosed with an esophageal malignancy underwent total resection of the lower
esophagus and reconstruction using colonic interposition. An open total esophagectomy was
performed. The terminal ileum was mobilized, with the ascending and transverse colon and was
brought up and anastomosed to the cervical esophagus. The ascending and transverse colon
that was still attached to the left colonic artery for blood supply was used as graft. Assign the
correct ICD-10-PCS codes for esophagectomy with colon interposition.
6. A 45-year-old female patient with uterine cancer developed drug-induced diarrhea following
chemotherapy. Assign the correct ICD-10-CM code for drug-induced diarrhea
secondary to chemotherapy.
7. The patient, a 6-year-old female, suffered a left proximal metaphyseal humeral fracture without
displacement. Assign the correct ICD-10-CM code for metaphyseal fracture of the
8. The patient, who had a history of seizure-like episodes, presented for encephalographic
monitoring, which did not show epileptic activity. The provider diagnosed "Psychogenic nonepileptic attacks (PNEA). Assign the correct diagnosis code for PNEA.
9. The patient underwent open repair of a middle cerebral artery fusiform aneurysm. Because of a
wide neck, the aneurysm was not amenable to clipping. The surgeon wrapped the aneurysm with
muslin gauze. Assign the appropriate procedure code for this type of aneurysm
10. The patient presented with a clogged gastrojejunostomy tube. Assign the appropriate
diagnosis code for a clogged gastrojejunostomy tube.
Recently Asked Questions
- Urgent help needed. Thanks Complementary and alternative medical (CAM) treatments have been around for at least decades, so why is there a lack of definitive
- Harlan undergoes a mediastinotomy. In what section of the CPT manual would the code for this procedure be located? What additional information would be needed
- Examine the benefits of breast-feeding. Compare and contrast these benefits to those of bottle-feeding. List suggestions as to how a breast-feeding mother